Grand Tour of Ireland 2012 Day 8: Churches, Vikings, Jameson's, and Mummies


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin
June 29th 2012
Published: March 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We headed back into Dublin today. I think I am finally started to get a feel for the layout with its winding streets that have a different name at every slight turn or curve. We stopped at St. Patrick's Cathedral first. This is my favorite cathedral so far since it feels ancient and has its own distinct character. The grave of Jonathan Swift is in here but all there really is marking it is a gold place marker and his death mask. The stained glass work is amazing and I couldn;t help from looking at the mesmerizing ceiling. The grounds of the cathedral are well maintained and very clean.

Our second church that day was the Christ Church Cathedral. This church feels newer and not as ancient as St. Patrick's but its no less as impressive with its stained glass windows, arches, and vaulted ceilings. Next to the main alter was a small chapel area where the holy relic of the heart of some saint used to be. It was recently stolen and they ask for its return someday. What sets it apart is the access to the crypts below! They have several exhibits below showing some graves and things of interest. Of course the thing I found most interesting were the mummified cat and mouse. Creepy!

Connected to Christ Church by bridge is the Dublinia Exhibit. This place showcases viking Ireland with plenty of information and artifacts.

Afterwards we headed to one of COlby's most desired places to tour, the Jameson's Factory! I found out all I need to know about the creation and history of a drink I will never have! Well, that's inaccurate! I did have a sip of the free sample with ginger ale and it BURNT MY FACE OFF! I am soooo not a drinker. But Colby is! He was lucky and got chosen as a taste tester of 3 whiskeys to find out which was best: Jameson's, Jack Daniel's or some Scotch. Of course he conveniently chose the Jameson's!

Our last stop was at St. Micah's Church, home of a crypt with mummies! Rumor has it that Bram SToker was inspired by these mummies and crypt when he wrote Dracula. One can easily see why! The crypt is dank, damp, and creepy. The mummies are gross and lifelike in their eternal slumber in the coffins laying about. I can see Dracula resting in them waiting for the night to come. The tour guide was funny (and maybe drunk) and he even let you touch the mummy's finger!!! It was leathery and weird.

It was a spooky end to our day in Dublin!


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Lighting a Candle For Grandpa RaulLighting a Candle For Grandpa Raul
Lighting a Candle For Grandpa Raul

He passed away during my trip in Ireland.


Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb