The first of many


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin
September 12th 2010
Published: September 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Just over a week ago myself and a friend departed for Dublin. Something always happens when I go away although I have to say its usually the hotel I have problems with. If I say Ryanair most people have had issues somewhwere along the way with them. They wouldn't let may friend check her luggage in, we had to pay extra both ways for her luggage. I have to say after flying with them it would make me think twice about flying with them again. No frills is definately a good way to describe them and also not cheap!
We arrived safely in Dublin and found our hotel with a a small amount of wandering around the streets of Dublin. We stayed at The Arlington Hotel on Batchalors walk. It faced onto the Liffey. It was a great location for getting about walking and by bus. The room was comfortable although a little warm. The breakfast was great and plenty on offer. The hotel boasts a nightclub which is open over the weekends but we decided to give it a miss. Overall I could definately recommend staying here.
After getting our barings we bought a 3 day dublin bus ticket. Its a hop on hop off bus that takes you rounnd all the major attarctions and our first stop just had to be Jamesons Whiskey. Now have a taste for Jamesons and Cranberry Juice.
Other places we visited were Dublin Castle, Gaol, St stephen's Green, Christchurch cathedral, Grafton St, Natural history museum (the dead zoo), Douglas Hyde gallery and the Guiness storehouse. The most of these attarctions were reasonably priced and some free. The most expensive however was the Storehouse and unless you love guiness I would say not really worth it.
We spent a week in Dublin and found in relation to home it was fairly expensive to eat and drink but thats not to say I wouldn't go back. I would but only for a few days.
Dublin is a great place if you love to people watch as well, its full of people from every walk of life and definately put a smile on my face a few times.
Couple of tips we were given is don't give anything to beggers in the street and if you go into a pub for a meal you can ask for a half portion of a meal which cuts down the cost and the portions a still fairly large they just use a smaller plate.
We're now looking forward to our next trip in a few weeks.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb