Ireland 2008


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin
August 10th 2008
Published: August 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Blarney CastleBlarney CastleBlarney Castle

Easily the tallest castle we saw
Thursday we went to Mitchelstown Caves, a cave system discovered in 1883. There are some incredible formations down there. Unfortunately, it's a private system and they don't allow any photographs.

Following that we went on to see Cahir Castle, it was also pretty impressive. Certainly the largest castle we have seen. Then, on the way home we stopped at "The Rock of Cashel", which is a huge church built on the top of this rock mound. The oldest structure on site is a round tower built in 1101.

Yesterday, Taelyr and I went down to see the Blarney Castle and to "kiss the Blarney stone". It is also a very impressive castle, and is by far the tallest one we saw. You have to climb all the way up to the top (something like 180 spiral steps) to get to the stone.

Kendall has been a little bit ill, maybe a stomach virus, or maybe just uncomfortable in the surroundings so her and Sacha didn't come on that trip.

The people in the B&B were very friendly, they even invited us to have Chineese food with them one night.

Today we drove across to Dublin. It was a very nice drive, until we got close to Dublin, then we sat in traffic for nearly 2 hours. I guess they had some giant storm here yesterday and many roads are flooded etc.

We are at the hotel now, and are going to go downtown for a few hours before dinner.

Up early tomorrow to get on the plane and head home.

I'll try to post some pictures this evening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Blarney CastleBlarney Castle
Blarney Castle

A view from the top
Blarney CastleBlarney Castle
Blarney Castle

This just amazed me. This is the underside of one of the spiral staircases. All these pieces seem to be carved stone and are stacked one on top of each other to make the staircase.
Blarney CastleBlarney Castle
Blarney Castle

this is a view from the ground of someone kissing the stone.


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb