Wow, it's been a long time since I put in an entry


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin
July 20th 2008
Published: July 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well, out week in London was busy and relatively fun-filled other than the stanky bathrooms in the hostel. I had to pay $2.00 per half-hour for internet, so that's why I haven't updated in so long.

So here we are in inner city Dublin. We're all staying in one large 24-person room with 12 bunk beds. Yesterday we did a walking tour of the area around the place we're staying. Lots of cool shopping, pubs, and other things. We went pout last night to a pub and heard some live Irish music...it was loud and had quite a lack of melody at some points, but it was interesting.

Today, we're going to tour the oldest college on the Island, Trinity College, which dates back to the seventeenth century. It's got the most extensive library in the country, with over 4 million, including the Book of Kells...here is some info on it:

The Book of Kells (Irish: Leabhar Cheanannais) (Dublin, Trinity College Library, MS A. I. (58), sometimes known as the Book of Columba) is an illuminated manuscript that is a masterwork of Western calligraphy (the best and most intricate in the world) and represents the pinnacle of Insular illumination. It is also widely regarded as Ireland's finest national treasure. Transcribed by Celtic monks ca. 800, it contains the four Gospels of the New Testament in Latin, together with various prefatory texts and tables. The text of the Gospels is largely drawn from the Vulgate, although it also includes several passages drawn from the earlier versions of the Bible known as the Vetus Latina.

We're going to see this TODAY at noon. oh, excitement.

Well, must go....we've got hiking to do on the coast of the island!! Yay exercise. I'll write again soon.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb