Day 3 -Dublin: Where smiles are plenty and ale is too!


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin
August 21st 2019
Published: August 21st 2019
Edit Blog Post

Our third day in Ireland found us among the city dwellers in Dublin. We were able to taxi and walk near the city center and discover a lot Dublin has to offer. Our Airbnb near Newmarket Square provided us with convenient options: a trendy hotel nearby for quick access to taxis; near the on and off bus, close to a distillery and the solitude of not being on the main drag.

We began our day at Trinity College to see the Book of Kells... but much to Kerry’s dismay, on our way to the exhibit I found a young artist‘s studio ? Jamie handcrafts felt animals and I had to buy a bird! FYI you too can by a bird from Jamie at flockstudio.com... just a thought... Okay, back to the story... The Book of Kells is a must see - a 9th century manuscript that documents the four Gospels of the life of Jesus Christ. The exhibition also highlights an incredible library that is stunning to the eye, The Long Room houses 200,000 of Trinity College’s oldest books in an 18th century Old Library!

We meandered around Dublin, Kerry museum hopping and I checking out the street vendor’s like FX Buckley where you can buy almost any type of meat ... the whole pig’s head makes a real good sales pitch! Then of course a great Irish blessing I found ... “May you live as long as you want, And never want as long as you live”... there were spindle towers, Chinese students demonstrating love for Hong Kong, a few Guinness beers to think about, a bit of Irish dishes to test and then as the evening set in - St. Patrick’s Cathedral for their Evensong service... beautiful.

We finished our night at the oldest standing pub in Ireland: The Brazen Head Inn. It was a good walk but sooo worth it. A medieval tavern most certainly. The current building was built in 1668. A little Irish music, and a little good cheer kept us out a few hours of this magical night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb