West Cork


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Cork
January 22nd 2011
Published: January 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

West Cork



Location



West Cork is situated in the South West of Ireland.

One could say that the area stretches from the town of Kinsale out to the Mizen lighthouse and up to Bantry. Though others might exclude Kinsale.

The most scenic route is the coastal strip, taking in the villages of Courtmacsharry, Schull, Baltimore and Crookhaven.

Along the route there are numerous sea inlets where one could while away an afternoon or so, watching the sea pass by.

Journey Time



How long is the proverbial piece of string ? The journey time can be as short as a few hours or as long as a week or more.

If you have the time, why move on if you find the ideal village, the quiet pasture with stunning sea views, the pub with the live music and the craic or the inlet where you can sit with the sea lapping your toes.

Though if stuck for time, try and pop down to Baltimore and swing by the Beacon – the view there on a fine day is impressive.

Islands



There are a number of islands close to the shore worth visiting.

Sherkin


From the village of Baltimore you can take a short ferry – 20 minutes to Sherkin Island. The island has overnight accommodation. During the summer months the pub has some lively music sessions. The island has about two roads branching off in different directions from the pier. Both are easily walkable along their lengths. The island is home to a number of artists.


Sherkin Island in Moving Postcards





Cape Clear



Cape Clear island is a bit further out from the Baltimore – taking maybe 40 minutes by Ferry. You can also access it from the town of Schull. The island has a harbour, a few small shops and some steep roads. The ferry ride can be memorable and if you are lucky you may see some dolphins and shark.

Cape Clear Island in Moving Post Cards







Villages


Along the route there are a number of villages – worth stopping in overnight.

Baltimore

– offers some B+B type accommodation, has a few restaurants and can be quite lively particularly at week ends as it attracts a strong sailing contingent.

Baltimore in Moving Post Cards




Schull


Is a bigger village/town. It has a wide range of community services. Plus an amble supply of pubs and restaurants.

It is also a fine location for a sailing holiday – with its well sheltered bay.
Schull in Moving Post Cards



From the town, Cape Clear and the Fastnet Rock are easily accessible by ferry.

The Fastnet

ferry –
departs weather permitting on Wednesday evening – though best to check locally.


Fastnet Rock in Moving Post Cards




Crookhaven




Crookhaven in Moving Post Cards




Further west of Schull lies the village of Crookhaven – an excellent resting place on your drive or cycle. The pubs offer good food throughout the day and music by night

If the weather is permitting, this is an excellent location for a swim. There are a number of sandy beaches, though the cockleshell beach is the most protected.

Beyond Crookhaven – bearing left as you cross over the bridge, you head towards the Mizen lighthouse. The bridge to the lighthouse was repaired in 2010 and should be open for visitors in 2011. Beside the lighthouse there is a small community run café and museum.

Beyond the lighthouse lies America.









Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb