You really are off the beaten path!


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Clare
June 20th 2010
Published: June 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Little Yellow Men monumentLittle Yellow Men monumentLittle Yellow Men monument

Probably Chinese sailors that drowned near this point as their ship tried to find safe harbor during a storm.
Sunshine...glorious sunshine (this means very few clouds)! Yesterday we had just finished our evening walk when the rain came pouring down. Not today however, we would not be denied a day of sun. We headed out to the tip of the Loop Head Peninsula. This is the most southwesterly point of Ireland.
First, we had to stop in Kilrush on the way so we could pick up a good map. We headed to the tourist information office and I decided on the 2010 edition of the Ordnance Survey map of Ireland. Although we rented a gps unit to bring (cheaper than the car rental rate), it was extremely handy to use in conjunction with a good map. Even so, some roads aren't signed and also don't show up on gps or the map.
My observation about maps and gps is this: if one doesn't have an "instinctive sense of location", then neither of those tools can make up for that deficit. Just an observation...I'm just saying :-) Not one to criticize my navigator...and all that.
If you are like us when you travel, you are the un-tourist looking for the less visited places, then I recommend the Loop Head Drive. This
A traditional boatA traditional boatA traditional boat

The Curragh was reputedly used by the Irish monk Brendan to cross the Atlantic and land in North America before Columbus.
area is very lightly visited. Along the way we veered off the marked drive route and stumbled upon a memorial that is in the process of being built. It honors the memory of 9 drowned sailors of unknown Asiatic origin. We were standing there wondering about the memorial because no signs have been erected when three people came strolling along. One of the ladies proceeded to tell us about the "little yellow men" that drowned near this spot. I had to keep a straight face as I instantly recalled a Pink Panther movie where Inspector Clouseau utters the line, “Kato, you little yellow swine.”
After we told them where we were from in the States and our traveling habits, one of the ladies remarked to me "You really are off the beaten path." We laughed and told them that we liked it that way. They also directed us to a nearby pub where we could eat (yippee...another pub). I snapped a couple of photos and headed to Keane's. It is the closest bar to New York. At least that is what their sign proclaimed. We had some nice seafood lunches and afterward took a hike to a nearby ruin. It
Overlook for the memorialOverlook for the memorialOverlook for the memorial

The Little Yellow Men foundered in these waters.
was a grand house in it's day according to the pub owner. We also discovered an old watchtower that was used to keep watch during the days of marauding pirates and Vikings.
After that, we headed to Loop Head point. The cliffs along the Atlantic side of the peninsula are quite spectacular. There is a cool lighthouse there on the point. Best of all, there were about 5 people around. It is very uncrowded. One has to pay to go view the more famous Cliffs of Moher just north of this location. These are free and just as cool. By the way, have you noted that we are wearing windbreakers? Even on this sunny day the temps can suddenly take some cool-ish dips.
We finished our looking around and took a leisurely drive back to Cooraclare. This is where the gps functioned the way I want it to. We had set the "home location" and then as we drove in a deliberately meandering fashion the gps unit kept us posted on our location and would recalculate the route. We drove through Kilkee, Doonbeg, and then through the countryside. It was the road less traveled, so I took it


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

WatchtowerWatchtower
Watchtower

Watchtowers were necessary to warn the local populace in the days of pirates, Vikings, and assorted baddies.
Stubborn flowersStubborn flowers
Stubborn flowers

The flowers growing in the cracks caught my eye.
In the meadowsIn the meadows
In the meadows

Taking in some sunshine.
More cliffsMore cliffs
More cliffs

The photos don't do the cliffs justice.
The LighthouseThe Lighthouse
The Lighthouse

This is located right on the point.
Cliffs of Loop HeadCliffs of Loop Head
Cliffs of Loop Head

The view and access is free.
Can I look over the edge?Can I look over the edge?
Can I look over the edge?

While Beth nervously handles the camera.


20th June 2010

Happy Dad's Day
Thanks much for your sharing.... so looking forward to sharing first hand as you return; Blessings with continuing fun, learning and sharing.... and fun surprises!
25th June 2010

cheap hotel Reservations
http://www.globester.com/hotels.jsp gives travellers one of the widest selections of accommodation on the net, including both independent and major chain hotels as well as self-catering in over 100,000 properties worldwide.
1st July 2010

cheap hotel reservations
Thanks for the tip. My readers and I are always looking for cheap but interesting digs throughout the world.

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0646s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb