Day 2 - Bunratty, Ennis


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Clare
June 12th 2008
Published: June 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Irish BreakfastIrish BreakfastIrish Breakfast

This is a picture of the typical Irish Breakfast we were served at Gallows View in Bunratty. Yum!
Day 2 - Bunratty Folk Park and Cliffs of Moher
Today we woke up to a nice sunny day. The weather was in the 60’s - very nice. Our hostess made us a lovely Irish breakfast - 2 eggs, bacon, sausage, tomato, scones, potato waffle. It was very good. The girls had pancakes which looked quite good too. Since we couldn’t go to the Bunratty Castle dinner show (our reservation last night was canceled due to a tour group canceling and they didn’t have enough people to have the show go on so they called our B&B and found that we were staying two nights there and they rescheduled our dinner for the next night, which actually worked out better for us anyway) we went to the Cliffs of Moher (mo her) which was really awesome. We found it pretty good with out any major driving issues.

Before reaching the cliffs we went to the town of Ennis. Since we were early in the day we were able to walk around the town before some of the shops opened. It is a cute little town and I would like to visit is again sometime. Kayleigh found some signs with her namesake on them. The town is quite old and charming with many shops. We purchased some fruit at one of them. Then we headed for the Cliffs of Moher.

After looking at the cliffs for a while we headed back to Bunratty. We wanted to visit the Folk Park before our dinner show started so we thought it best not to do anything else in the area around the cliffs. There was so much more I wanted to do but we really would have needed more time to do it all.

Back at Bunratty we went to the castle folk park. It was very nice with lots to see. There were many thatched roofed houses decorated with furnishings of the time period many years ago. There were also little stores, school houses, etc. Many of the buildings had people doing reenactments from the time period. In one house there was a lady making homemade soda bread. It was so good! We couldn’t see the castle though because by the time we got to it, it was closed to park visitors as they were preparing for the banquet. Upon entering the park, we started out going to the right instead of the left because we saw a huge tour group going that way to the castle. If we had of known the castle would close at 4:00 then we would have gone to see it first. Oh well, I’m sorry we missed seeing the castle but I’m sure we will see more castles on this trip.
We had a little time to spare before our dinner show, so we went to Durty Nelly’s again.

The dinner show was so nice. It featured Irish music and dance and I think the girls had a really nice time. It was a “first time dinner show” for both of them and I think they were glad we went there. The show featured many of the old Irish songs which the audience could sing along with (they passed out the words to them). The Irish dancers were great too. The servers were actually the cast as well. They really work hard since they got our meal, ect. and also preformed in the show. There were 4 pitchers on each table which consisted of red & white wine, fruit drink and I beleive the other one was mead. Somehow we must have lost all our postcards at the dinner though which we found out after we got back to the B&B.

The next morning we went up to the Folk Park to see if they had found our postcards - and indeed they had!




Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Gran & Robert at Durty Nelly'sGran & Robert at Durty Nelly's
Gran & Robert at Durty Nelly's

Durty Nelly's was such a charming little place! Food was great too.


16th June 2008

Love the photos!
Karen and Robert It sounds like you are having a wonderful time! I hope Gran's ankle is better. Thank you for the informative, fun photos. I especially liked the one of the breakfast...how elegant and charming. Enjoy yourselves! Love, B
16th June 2008

Great Write Up
Hi All, Sounds like you are having a great time. Your letters are very interesting and the pictures.Kayleigh now has had some great experiences. Have a great rest of the vacation see you when you get home. Grandma Shirl Kayleigh we miss you and love you.

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb