Castle and Folk Park


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Clare
October 15th 2017
Published: April 8th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We decided to stay close by this day, and visit the Bunratty Castle and Folk Park. Many guide books that we read had said this place is a tourist trap. I do not agree. We thought it was well worth the visit. I would say that it is similar to Colonial Williamsburg in the USA. A great place to see and learn some local customs and history.

We awoke about 9am, and had a lovely breakfast provided by our Airbnb host. Their home was very nice. So peaceful, warm, and inviting.

We spent several hours wandering the maze that is the Folk Park. After that, we crossed the road to have lunch at the Creamery Bar. I had some more fish and chips with a Guinness. It was good food and service here.

After lunch, we went back to our Airbnb.

It was here that we now realized there was a hurricane headed our way. We found it difficult to be alarmed by a hurricane in Ireland, but the media, and Met Éireann had grabbed our attention. This storm was going to bring high seas and 100mph wind gusts, and was being taken very seriously. This was to be the worst storm since 1961. There were 10 deaths that year, and they did not want a repeat.

We had first thought of cancelling our hotel in Dublin, and staying another night at our Airbnb to wait out the storm. They were very flexible and were willing to help. However, the neighborhood had a lot of trees and power lines, so I feared the worst about being stranded there. We needed to fly back from Dublin because our Shannon flight is seasonal, and was finished for the year.

Our decision was to leave Monday morning by 5am to beat the storm and go to Dublin. Hurricane Ophelia was to make landfall on the South coast about 6am. With that all set, we did what anyone would do, and went back to the Creamery Bar for some pints. We also had some kebab at a small local place. It was very tasty!

We got everything oragnized and tried to get some sleep. It was difficult, but we managed a few hours. Our host packed some breakfast to go which was so sweet of her.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0727s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb