A Day in Kilkee


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Clare » Kilkee
July 3rd 2009
Published: July 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Thurs, July 3

Today we stayed local, and did the Cliff Walk in Kilkee. It was as beautiful, and much less touristy than the Cliffs of Moher. The town had constructed a paved walkway running along the cliff edge for a mile or so leading from town. Mary advised us to walk it backwards. So we parked along the road at the top, and walked down to town. The views were spectacular. At one point, we descended stairs leading to a stony outcrop. Jeff and Jackie were daring and climbed down into Diamond Rock Sink Hole, a pit/depression that had a hole opening to the sea. It looked as though the water might rise through there at high tide.
Along the way, we saw people practicing tai chi, walkers, couples with dogs and baby strollers, and people on their way to swim in the “Pollock holes”- tidal pools. Dean declined to join them because he had not brought his wetsuit…and it looked pretty cold. We began our walk under a clear sky, but the clouds overtook us just at the bottom, so Jeff and I walked back up in the rain (Jeff loaned me his jacket, since I forgot to bring it) to get the car, and picked Dean and Jackie up in town.
Kilkee has a beach, called the strand, to walk along. There are little row houses facing the beach, and terraced stairs leading down at the highest point. If you like fish, you can buy a snack from the ladies selling “winkies” on the prom. I wonder how the folks at Mayflower and Corporation beaches at home on the Cape would take to us doing that? Irish escargot?
We roamed the main street and stopped into a bakery/deli for lunch. They had gluten free bread, so Jackie and I had a vegetable and goat cheese sandwiches with some salads. J&J remained in town and explored while I brought Dean to the pool.
While he was swimming, I went for a walk, and discovered the Sweeney Memorial Library. It was one large room with a curtained stage at one end. They have lectures and concerts there sometimes. After I walked back to the pool to collect Dean, we met the kids, and headed home to Corbally.
Jeff and Jackie got busy with the computer, reading, and horn practice. Dean and I went for a walk to see Joe’s barn and prize cows that are kept separate from the rest of the 70 or so cattle in the herd. Their field runs all the way to the sea. Jeff says that the cows here don't know how good they have it! We returned to the house for laundry and a nap.
At 9:45, Michael and his daughter Marie picked us up to go to a session at Crotty’s Pub in Kilrush. Marie was just back from Asia/Thailand and other places. Prior to that, she had spent a year in Australia, and has been in Chicago and NYC for shopping with her sister or friends. It seems the kids here travel on their own much more than ours in the States.
Crotty's is the oldest pub in Kilrush, first run by Mrs. Crotty, who played the concertina. It is still the way it looked originally, all dark wood and cozy tables with little benches against the wall. It is easier to be short here because the seats are shallow, and the old doors are low.
Every Thursday night, some musicians get together and play. The official closing time is 11:30 at which time they pull down the window shades and lock the doors so no one else can come in. We left at 12; the music and drinking were still in full force!
Michael took us home on a one-lane road that is used to drive cows to pasture. He said it was a shortcut to the farm from Kilrush, and that when I drive to Galway Friday, I’d better stick to the main road! He, on the other hand, was driving the speed limit at midnight, honking at the crossroads, and getting us home in no time at all.
Tomorrow, we head for Galway, and will finally meet our hosts, Joe and Liz, We will have dinner together at 7. On the way, we'll try to see a few sights. Jeff is anxious to see a castle. The road to Galway is supposed to be a major one, so I am looking forward to that!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb