Reykjavik, Iceland


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Reykjavík
June 22nd 2014
Published: June 22nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Day One (06/20): Jay and I boarded our plane At 630 pm and it arrived in Reykjavik at 630 am the next morning. A first I thought tat the plane ride was going to be great; everyone got blankets and pillows to keep comfy on the ride. ooooh and a free water bottle. But alas, like every other flight these days we didn't get any food. Not even peanuts or pretzels for heaven's sake. needless to say we were exhausted by the time we got to the airport.



Day Two (06/21): We took at shuttle bus from the airport, which was 45 minutes away from the centre of town. Reykjavik has only about 200,000 people but it is very spread out. Our hostel is rig the centre of the city which is great. the reception floor of e hostel is super cute. It's got maps and a bar and lots of old wood and leather couches. It's got a very hipster feel to it. I fit right in 😊 the rooms themselves are pretty generic; the bathrooms are fine, just not very clean and the kitchen is basic. Unfortunately someone stole our food for the last day which was very disappointing because rewrite are too poor to go buy more.

Most of the day was spent walks around the city since we couldn't check into our hostel until two pm. Luckily they let us drop off our bags.we walked down to he centre of the city and took a very long detour to get to the national museum of Iceland. Learned lots about the history of the country and the Vikings then we walked to the giant christian church in the centre of the city. I can't Remember what it's called but it has the biggest organ I have very seen. But is time we were able to check into our hostel and spent the day around the hostel area before going to sleep at 630 pm. We we're exhausted!



Day Three (06/22): today was spent on an eight hour tour of the country side. First we took the bus to the area where the geothermal plans are. We'll some of them anyway. Apparently almost all the heat and power in the county comes from geothermal energy. The volcanic activity in the country is just amazing. The landscape is infinitely long grass/ moss field interrupted but black,jagged volcanic rocks. It's as if someone splattered black paint on a green canvas. In addition to the, there is Alaskan Lupin absolutely everywhere. It's an incredibly beautiful purple flower that is just thriving in this climate. I have never seen anything like it. After the geothermal area, we went to thinksvellir, which is one of the national parks here in Iceland. In this park the North American and Eurasian techtonic plates meet, and are growing apart by 2cm per year. TSS means that there is a giant rip in the earth. It's stunning. Following this we saw the beautiful golden waterfall and the largest geysir in the world. Lastly we stopped at the bishops house, a large church that is the location of the original Icelandic capital. It was kind if boring but the view was fantastic and the windows were beautiful stained glass. It was definitely the best way to see Reykjavik and area in two days.



Off the Belfast in the morning!!

Ciao Xoxo

Advertisement



Tot: 0.242s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb