Vikings, Hotdogs, Bjork & Iceland


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Reykjavík
September 7th 2011
Published: September 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Ok, so i havent seen any vikings or hung out with Bjork. But i have eaten hotdogs and am in Iceland.
Arrived here late fri night and met Carla at the airport and stocked up on Icelandic beer and Italian wine (its really expensive in town).
We have been really lucky with the weather and have had all sunny days so far. So what better way to spend the 1st day then by going to the blue lagoon, lounge around in the hot pools and put white stuff (silica) on our faces. Don't look 10 years younger, but my skin felt great after.
After a day of relaxing, we headed out of Reykjavik to Þingvellir (Thingvellir) to see some canyons, waterfalls and the big sprouting geyser. Þingvellir is where the 1st Icelandic parliment was formed. The countryside is full of volcanic rocks covered in moss. The colours look really great, lots of greens.
Yesterday was a day to be adventurous and go hiking into the hills to find natural hot springs and bathe in the stream. All along the path way there were lots of little hot pots like in Rotorua, some with bubbling mud etc.
We finally came to a stream that was deep and warm enough, and lounged around there for a while, before heading off back to town.
Reykjavik reminds me of a small ski town, lots of little ski lodge looking buildings, set on the coast of the Atlantic ocean, that makes it look like lake Taupo. Thus the ski town feel.
Its a really beautiful country, with only about 300,000 people, so it feels like there is alot of untouched land.... although i think there is, as there is alot of unused land due to the volcanic rock everywhere.
Off to stalk Bjork now, until next time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb