Reykjavik and Blue lagoon


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Reykjavík
June 13th 2007
Published: June 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We made it! Sarah and I arrived in Reykjavik arond 2am EST ....7am in Iceland. We were totally dazed and confused, running on adrenaline. What we didn't realize is that the International airport is about 45 minutes from the city of Reykjavik and that the area in between is completely uninhabited. Miles and miles of volcanic rock with the only vegetation being mosses and lupine. It was beautiful, unlike anything we have ever seen before.

The guesthouse where we stayed for the night was really cute, about a 15 minute walk from the town center. Once we dropped off our bags and found some coffee, we decided the best way to handle our jetlag would be to soak in the blue lagoon. The blue lagoon is a geothermally heated pool about 40 minutes outside of Reykjavik. The water is practically hot and full of minerals that are supposed to be good for the skin - the pool has been transformed into a fantastic day spa. We ended up soaking in the pool for about an hour and a half, until we felt human again. Definitely one of the coolest things I have ever done.

After the lagoon we headed back into Reykjavik for dinner and a climb to the Pearl (massive water tanks for the city) that offer a panaramic view of the mountains, ocean, and Reykjavic. It was amazing.

more to come in Amsterdam...


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



15th June 2007

chillin in Iceland
WOOO-haaa! Sounds and looks awesome. Have you seen any Icelandic long haired dwarf ponies? I love those little guys. Show them a little love would ya. They're so small and hairy, they probably don't get much play.
15th June 2007

how cool!!! we are dying--so jealous!! meanwhile, dad just announced he has to take a stool test tomorrow. clearly he's blown away by those pics and feeling quite relaxed himself!
15th June 2007

I’m so jealous...
Soaking in the blue lagoon sounds like an incredible way to start your European adventure!

Tot: 0.206s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb