Iceland - Part 2


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Reykjavík
November 30th 2006
Published: December 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Gullfoss FallsGullfoss FallsGullfoss Falls

Yes, it was a bit crisp out here!
Hello everyone!

This is a most appropriate time for me to say a HUGE thank you to my very best friend, Katie!!!!! Without her generous gift of the digital camera, none of you would be enjoying this pictorial journey with us around the world. Thank you, Katie! (and I even figured out how to use the zoom lens finally!). Thank you, thank you! A picture is worth a million words.

So, where did I leave off?????? Oh yeah, we were visiting the Geysers! What a sight. We all enjoyed that spot. We had lunch at a little restaurant in a hotel at the site, and then wandered around the gift shop for a while. Then, it was time to get back on the bus and head to the Falls. It was a short stop, but a great photo opp!

Back on the bus and heading back into the city. We drove through the city for a bit and dropped off some of the passengers downtown so they could shop and wander. I will include some pictures that I took from the bus so you can see some of the architecture of Reykjavik.

As I had mentioned in the earlier Iceland blog, our Gala Farewell Dinner was held! Pictures will tell the story. It's a bitter-sweet event. While many of us are ready to head home (particularly the ones who are not feeling well, because that's when you just want to crawl into your own bed), there are many of us who are enjoying the adventure and still want to see and do more. But family ties are tight also, and many are missing their loved ones. A month is a long time to be away.

We have enjoyed the people of Iceland. We learned a lot about them, especially since the crew we had for the whole month live in this country. They are kind, loving, gentle, intelligent and caring people. We are staying at the Radisson Saga hotel, and the rooms are quite nice. The staff have been most helpful too!

So, it's time for the Gala Farewell Dinner. Everyone feels the excitement and looking forward to a last sit-down dinner with new friends. My table consists of Elviera (our tour guide), Anne, Tina, Leona, Lorraine, Lynn, Alex, Eileen and Margaret. Alex and Eileen are the "father-daughter" team travelling together, from Toronto. Anne and
Back on the roadBack on the roadBack on the road

Look at the red dirt along the roadside.
Tina are the friends from Toronto. (Alex, Anne and I have been the "gym partners", and they have inspired me all along this trip!). Lynn and Lorraine are the sisters (Lynn from Leduc, and Lorraine from North Bay). Leona has been my room-mate for the journey and while we did not meet until Whitehorse, I believe we had a fairly good time together! It helps that both of us are pretty laid back and flexible! (Thanks for sharing, Leona!). Ben Sr. (from Travel Guild) has joined us here in Iceland. The music at dinner was absolutely perfect! It's that kind of dinner music that is actually "background" music; loud enough to enjoy, but soft enough that you can carry on a conversation at your table! Perfect! The room was beautifully decorated with little Christmas touches here and there. The dinner was superb! I've had more lamb on this trip than I've had in my lifetime, and have acquired a taste for it again! (I am "chocolate deficient" however, in that it is not that commonly available in different places around the world..........that could be a good thing, or.......not!).

And the music played, dinner was enjoyed, dancing took place later in the evening.......and a good time was had by all. Carl did his "farewell" speech; I think he's going to miss us! He certainly deserves a huge APPLAUSE for all his good work and leadership. It's not easy herding a group of almost 100 people around the world........different ages, different interests, different abilities, and.......my favorite.......different attitudes! Our group leader, Elviera, handled it all with finesse! And she's a ton of fun! Anyone who can consistently direct you to the best toilets around the world must be a winner! (from a woman's perspective anyway!! ha ha)

The evening ended fairly early. And we have a free morning tomorrow. That will be the next blog..........the free morning in Iceland, the trip to the Blue Lagoon (I can hardly wait), and our trip home. Stay tuned.

Happy Pat




Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Lunch at the Hveragerdi VillageLunch at the Hveragerdi Village
Lunch at the Hveragerdi Village

This is at the Geyser location; main industry is growing plants and vegetables in greenhouses heated from the boiling water from underground
At our lunch locationAt our lunch location
At our lunch location

Getting in the Christmas spirit....
Just like in Stratford, Ontario!Just like in Stratford, Ontario!
Just like in Stratford, Ontario!

Hey Ben and Evan, check out the swans and ducks!
A little Icelandic beauty!A little Icelandic beauty!
A little Icelandic beauty!

Met up with her in the hotel gift shop!
At the Gala Farewell dinnerAt the Gala Farewell dinner
At the Gala Farewell dinner

Me, Anne and Tina......our final dinner together.
Our stewardess Stella and her girlsOur stewardess Stella and her girls
Our stewardess Stella and her girls

Such a beautiful family!
Me and ElvieraMe and Elviera
Me and Elviera

Such a delight to have met her on this trip!
Me and "the sisters"Me and "the sisters"
Me and "the sisters"

We had such a great time together!


2nd December 2006

Thank you
Pat, I can't thank you enough for your wonderful blogs. I feel like I've had a bit of a journey myself. I'm going to go through withdrawal once your last ones are completed. Thanks for taking such good care of Tina. We're really glad to have her back.
2nd December 2006

Thanks, Marilynn
Thanks for your kind note. I was happy to share the blog with the friends and family members of my tour buddies. It was a pleasure to meet Tina, and to get to know her during our adventures. I am going to miss seeing her every day! I am giving a lot of thought to the final blog before posting it; you can expect to see it before the weekend is over! Now......you take good care of Tina! Happy Pat
2nd December 2006

Whew, tired just hearing of your adventures
So glad you shared them with us. Now that you have had the itch ... are you ready for New York in the Spring? When you get back to visit in Edmonton I will look forward to hearing what is next on your agenda. You are so inspiring. Take Care ... Marilyn

Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0774s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb