"Ice Ice Baby"


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » South » Vík
November 26th 2016
Published: December 3rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Our tour of Iceland has been incredible thus far and just when you think it can't get any better...you round a bend and are blown away at the breathtaking scenery that lays before you. It seems as if every corner of this country has a hidden beauty to share. Today, we see some of the most beautiful Glacier patches Iceland has to offer. Locals referred to them as the "Northern Lights of the Sea" for their ability to reflect the colors of sun.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Glacier LagoonGlacier Lagoon
Glacier Lagoon

Can you believe this ice is over 1000 years old? Jokulsarlon source is the Vatnajokull glacier, Europe's largest glacier.
Glacier LagoonGlacier Lagoon
Glacier Lagoon

The lagoon is formed naturally, from melted glacial water coming from the glacier and is getting bigger each year (the result of global warming).
Glacier LagoonGlacier Lagoon
Glacier Lagoon

Blue ice (glacial) occurs when snow falls on a glacier, is compressed, and becomes part of the glacier. Air bubbles are squeezed out and ice crystals enlarge...making the ice appear blue.
Glacier LagoonGlacier Lagoon
Glacier Lagoon

This icy landscape has inspired many filmmakers to shoot here (James Bond-Die Another Day & View to Kill as well as Tomb Raider) (Batman Begins was filmed on the Vatnajokul Glacier) (Justin Bieber also shot a music video here)
Glacier LagoonGlacier Lagoon
Glacier Lagoon

Seals can be seen swimming in the lagoon or relaxing on top of icebergs. They come into the lagoon to catch fish during the winter.
Icebergs headed out to seaIcebergs headed out to sea
Icebergs headed out to sea

Huge blocks of ice constantly break off the glacier (Vatnajokull) and float out to sea
Diamond BeachDiamond Beach
Diamond Beach

Oceanside from the Glacier Lagoon. This black sand beach was dubbed Diamond Beach as the ice chunks lying on it resemble diamonds glistening in the sun.
Diamond Beach, IcelandDiamond Beach, Iceland
Diamond Beach, Iceland

Waves crashing against the icebergs as they drift out to sea....Oceanside from the Glacier Lagoon-Jokulsarlon. This black sand beach was dubbed Diamond Beach as the ice chunks lying on it resemble diamonds glistening in the sun.
Diamonds are a girls best friendDiamonds are a girls best friend
Diamonds are a girls best friend

The black stretch of sand gets covered in translucent, compact ice that's thousands of years old that glistens in the sun, much like diamonds.
Getting the perfect shotGetting the perfect shot
Getting the perfect shot

Patrick looking for the money shot! It was so cold on the beach that our batteries (cell phones, cameras) died within minutes. Luckily we had charger packs.
Diamond BeachDiamond Beach
Diamond Beach

Frolicking amongst the ice chunks...nature's playground
SvinafellsjokullSvinafellsjokull
Svinafellsjokull

Svinafell Glacier is a glacier tongue of Vatnajokull. Pictured is the hiking trail to the tongue.
Svinafell Glacier TongueSvinafell Glacier Tongue
Svinafell Glacier Tongue

Breathtaking scenery and stunning views.
Svinafell Glacier Svinafell Glacier
Svinafell Glacier

Ice ridges and deep crevasses
Svinafell GlacierSvinafell Glacier
Svinafell Glacier

Incredible blue colors.
Svinafell GlacierSvinafell Glacier
Svinafell Glacier

Perched on the mountain trail taking pictures of Svinafell Glacier.


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb