Iceland Day 11


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » South » Vík
August 6th 2014
Published: August 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Another day, another hotel, but we are slowly making our way back towards Reykjavík. We woke this morning to rain, but not to be put off we headed out to the glacial lake Jökulársón where the glacier slowly breaks up into icebergs and they float out to sea.

We went out to see the main glacier on a zodiac boat which was fantastic. No seats – you just perch on the inflatable edge and hang on to rope handles. Although we were layered up and they dressed us up in survival suits and life jackets, it was still cold with the rain and spray but the views were fantastic. Because it is warm the tops of the icebergs slowly melt away and then they flip over and the undersides are bright turquoise, the tops are mixtures of clear, white and black from layers of volcanic ash that forms layers on top of and sometimes within each berg. There were also seals and lots of bird life fishing in the estuary.

We then pushed on to our hotel, with a few stops along the way to refuel the car and its passengers. Passing what we have nicknamed 'Boobland' we couldn't resist taking a few photos of this strange undulating landscape of little rounded hillocks with strategically placed clumps of grass on top of them. We also called in again to see the puffins at Dyrhólaey but as the weather was slightly better even if the wind had not dropped much most of them were out feeding. This time we went round to the other side and got better views of the rock arches.

We are here at Skógar for two nights, so we will be looking around the local area tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 76; dbt: 0.0951s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb