Eyjafjallajökull


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » South » Oreafi
March 27th 2013
Published: March 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Cliffs?Cliffs?Cliffs?

NO, trolls that got petrified at sunrise while towing a boat.
Goodness! Are we still talking about that eruption in 2010, Eyjafjallajokull? Even now that we are expecting Hekla to erupt? Hekla is never so serious as the one 3 years ago so no worries. However, yes, we are still talking about that eruption in 2010. So many people got stuck in Europe because of that and some even got to know each other because of that. I’ll tell you a story.



A young woman lives in Canada and a young man in England. They need to be in contact because of their work, send e-mails, talk on the phone, but have never met even if they have worked together like that for some time. She went on a holiday to Asia and at the same time he went to Canada, holiday or not, doesn’t matter. The eruption started in Iceland when the girl was already in London so she was stuck there. He was stuck in Canada for the same reason. Funny enough, Icelanders could fly from their international airport all the time, it never affected that airport in any way.



The boy needed to get some information from the girl about his work and
skaftafellskaftafellskaftafell

With view to one of glaciers on the south shore
when they got on talking they realized they both were stuck far away from their own homes and didn’t know how long they would be stuck. After some discussions she said he could use her flat in Canada and he lent her his flat in England. Good deal. After some days he got a flight over to England, but she was still stuck there so that is why they met. Some sparkling feelings shot up in both boy and girl and today they are married. They often talk of that eruption which got them together. When they saw they had a week off for holidays in March 2013 the idea came up, why not see that volcano which led to their meeting?



They looked for a guide to take them around in Iceland, contacted me and asked if I could take them on a two day trip along the southern part of Iceland over to the Glacier Lagoon. They were hoping to see the Northern Lights as well on their trip. Off we went, weather beautiful, sunny, cold and rather a strong wind in some places. Luck was on their side this time as well as three
JokulsarlonJokulsarlonJokulsarlon

The Glacier Lagoon
years ago, there was such great solar activity during the middle of March so the evening we stayed in a hotel by the glaciers the Lights were out as soon as it was dark around 8:30 in the evening. To make the most of the Lights the young couple brought a blanket out, put that on the ground on a little hill (one of many moraines in the area), sat on the blanket and opened a bottle of Champagne. There they sat for three hours and the display of Northern Lights in the sky was amazing, green, yellow, swirling around, streaks, lines . . . . the Lights at their very best.



We visited the Glacier Lagoon, which was full of all kinds of sculptures. Well, natural sculptures are not less than those made by humans and having all the seals swimming around too adds a certain charm. Each time I come to the Glacier Lagoon I get a feeling of happiness. Having such a fantastic nature to look at is simply a pleasure.



On our way back to the city the weather was still beautiful, not so much wind as the day before
Beneath the volcanoBeneath the volcanoBeneath the volcano

This is the volcano that got them together
so the view was even better this time, great view to all the glaciers so pure white this time. The volcano Katla is still sleeping beneath one of those glaciers, she will wake up soon as she is getting hungry – the poor troll.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0922s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb