Iceland Tour Day 3


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » East » Egilsstadir
July 7th 2022
Published: July 19th 2022
Edit Blog Post

On our way to our hotel last night we stopped for fuel and our driver, Omar told us to go out by the house in the back. There we were buzzed hundred of birds who were protecting their nests. It looked like something out of Alfred Hitchcock movie, The Birds. Arriving at our hotel for the night we spotted a nearby church and a few of us went to explore. It was a Earthen structure covered by soil and grass. I read that when wood has hard to come by they started using this method for some homes. They are very energy efficient. Renee and her new friend Zack decided to climb to the top of the mountain behind the hotel, you can see the top of it behind the church in one of the pictures.

We also observed the working farm across the street baling and covering the hay bales in the field. We saw many large farms in the rural area, most were hay fields. Most of Iceland's tiny amount of arable land is used for grazing. We saw sheep everywhere in the rural areas and they are free to roam. Only 4% of Iceland's 350,000 or so people live in the rural area and only 1-2% are engaged in agriculture.

Leaving our hotel in the morning we headed for the Jokulsarion Glacier Lagoon, where we saw a procession of towering and amazing shaped hunks of ice from the Breidarmerkurjokull Glacier. These Icebergs were floating in the lake and in the river down to the ocean at Diamond Beach. Here the ice that has washed ashore sit on the beach like jewels. A couple of James Bond movies had filmed footage from here.

Driving through more sensational scenery, with the coast on one side and the majestic mountains on the other, we drove through the East Fjords to Egilsstair. This picturesque town on the banks of the Largarfljt River is home to the legend of the Largarflit Worm, a giant worm which legend has it residing in the river and showing itself now and again. Along the way we stop at the remote fishing village of Djupivogur, which dates from 1589, where the North Atlantic waves wash over the black sands. There are more birds here than people. I saw fishing Pods on the river, each with rings around it, which I thought was quite unique.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

I was a long hike up to the HengifossI was a long hike up to the Hengifoss
I was a long hike up to the Hengifoss

3 mile hike, it was so windy I almost blew down the hill


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb