A Quieter Day


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
October 2nd 2016
Published: October 2nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Day 11 - Sun. Oct. 2 - Budapest



Our last full day in Budapest we walked up Andrássy Street to the Párisi Nagy Áruház (Paris Department Store) one of the city’s first department stores. The building was constructed in the early 20th Century and was a popular shopping location, even through the period of communism. It was also at one time a library, which was of professional interest to us. The store closed down and vacated the building leaving it empty for years. The Alexandra bookstore chain rescued the building and turned the first two floors into a superb bookstore, office space and on the second floor they restored the Lotz Hall, a sumptuous space where they installed an excellent café. We had our lunch there before heading out on our walk to the Great Synagogue.



Unfortunately, due to Rosh Hashanah, access to the Synagogue and its museum was closed so we could only admire the exterior of the structure. Luckily railings in the protective fence at the rear of the building were wide enough to permit one to capture photographs of the Tree of Life. This is a sculpture, in the form of a willow tree, which was erected in 1990 and its metal leaves are etched with the names of Holocaust victims.





Following our return to the apartment we had the opportunity to connect with our family back in Canada via Skype.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



4th October 2016

Superb Evening.
I've just spent an evening going through your blogs and photos. Including those of Quinn and Zoe. Had a wonderful and interesting time. I'm even beginning to feel a bit jet lagged. Keep them coming and God Bless. G&R. xx

Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0855s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb