Budapest, Formula 1 and being a tourist


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
July 30th 2013
Published: July 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Lewis!Lewis!Lewis!

Not easy taking a photo at the speed they're going!
Two days at the Hungarian F1 Grand-Prix was more fun than I’d anticipated. Steve was quite anxious that he’d made a mistake and that I wouldn’t enjoy it but it was quite an experience and the majority of it good. We had good seats with views of several corners in the middle of a straight and a big screen tv in front for the sections we couldn’t see. I was a bit lost with qualifying on Saturday but enjoyed the GP3 race with British driver Julian Palmer winning. Race day itself was great, really good atmosphere and was more engaging than watching on tv. Of course made more special with Lewis Hamilton winning, against the odds. I was quite amazed at the vast quantity of beer being drunk and how red some people allowed themselves to get in the burning sun all day.

Good weather continued for our first day of doing tourist stuff in Budapest. I didn’t take to the city straight away, noisy, dirty, and busy, as are all cities. But there are some great buildings and views across the Danube in both directions. The castle in Buda is another one that is more of a palace built on the site of a former fortification. So much was destroyed in WWII it’s quite amazing how well it’s been rebuilt, true of many fine buildings in the city. Lots of walking the streets looking at things rather than going into things here. The only into we did was the Budapest Museum in the palace, which clarified the history of the city (and Hungary), very complex with so many different influences from different colonization. This is another city full of visitors, tour groups and young Brits enjoying the nightlife.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb