A very slow train ride to Budapest


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
May 20th 2006
Published: May 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

It was our last day in Ljubljana, we woke up early to take the 7.40 am train from Ljubljana to Budapest, an 8 hour journey away. We boarded the train at 7.40 am, happily waiting for the train to move. 5 min passed by, the train did not move, 30 min and it was still there. Passengers started to pop their heads out of the window to see what is happening. At about 9 am, the train conductor walked into each cabin and started talking to the passengers, of cos we dont understand what he is talking about, but we saw passengers leaving the train one by one.

Then he came into our cabin, we told him our final destination is Budapest, and we asked if we had to leave the train. He couldnt speak English, but he told us Budapest is OK. OK meaning we dont have to leave the train, i suppose that is what he meant. So it seemed to me that, since the train was one and a half hours late (it left at 9.15 am instead of 7.40 am), it will skip most of the stations in Slovenia, hence the other passengers got to leave the train.

What a slow train ride it turned out to be. The train stopped at some stations and we saw train mechanics fixing the train (in layman terms, it looks as if they are changing the train tyres). After that, the train moved with weird noises, puffing and rattling its bones, like an old man.

Along the way, the landscape changed from neat clean little cottages with lovely lawns, to rugged looking houses and dreary looking flats dotted with grafitti. We know we have crossed the borders from Slovenia to Hungary

Finally we arrived safe and sound at Budapest Deli station, at 5.45 pm instead of 4.15 pm. We took the blue metro line and then changed to the red metro line. The metro system in Budapest is confusing but we managed to make our way through and got our tickets checked by the inspectors twice in the process. We alighted at Kalvin Ter, walked nearly 15 min down Raday Street and finally stepped into Enter Hostel. Yes, the name of our hostel is Enter Hostel. It is a clean and quiet place located in a bohemian street lined with cafes, check it out, http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/EnterHostel-Budapest-14384. Cool place.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



27th May 2006

Looks good!
I am also a traveller in Hungary. It looks like you are having fun. Isn't it a great country?!

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb