Travel Day


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
April 22nd 2006
Published: April 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

April 22, 2006

What a surprise this day turned out to be!!

Again, I’m getting ahead of myself … Ok… Early this morning, around 5:30, Mom and I woke to photograph the area at sunrise (see pictures) and complete our historical documentary of the Castle District… I should have known then that the day was going to be leisurely when we were able to slow down immediately and have an espresso while waiting for Nagy and Liz to join us…Breakfast was served at 7 and… we took our sweet time… Our car arrived around 8 am, but was promptly blocked into the parking spot when we weren’t looking… Oh darn… We had to spend the morning shopping, touring the Matyas Church, and enjoying a German Orchestra in the garden next to the Bastion…

The goal for the day was to tour Szentendre, Visegrad, Esztergom on the Daunbe Bend on the way to Nove Zamsky, Slovakia… (We are staying there and driving into Mana, the location of Nagy’s country estate, for the next three days) Each village had its own Allure and more shopping-- something we Southern Women adore…. And for me there was plenty of Architectural History to learn about, explore, and share with my family… I would share some of that history with y’all, but you are my first audience and I don’t want to lose you!!

We headed out from the final town at around 6 pm and relished in the breath-taking drive… Lush fields, horse farms, tree lined two land roads, cherry tree orchards in full bloom, and grape vineyards. Need I say more!! Every vista induced a thrill… The villages we traversed were quaint, clean, and much improved from 5 years ago (my last visit).

By the time we arrived in Nove Zamsky we were all tranquil and prepared for our next task… However as we made our way into the city things started to look dreary again. The town is obviously industrial and NOT charming—every hotel looked frightening and we couldn’t find ours. Nagy doesn’t speak the language (Slovakian), and we didn’t have a map!! Finally we located a map and found our way to a part of town that reminded me of Cuernavaca, Mexico (and Liz of Russia) with its high walls and menacing entrances.

But just like Cuernavaca—an Oasis exists behind the wall (at least at our hotel). Let me tell each and every one of you right now: If you ever find yourself in the middle Slovakia—DO NOT STAY ANYWHERE ELSE BESIDES The Epicure.

The Epicure is an exclusive hotel that doesn’t even advertise in this town or country!! It boasts a private restaurant with an incredible chef, trained in French and Italian cuisine—and only guests are allowed to enjoy this delight!! The rooms are enormous with spa tubs, walk in closets, and Persian rugs. The veranda surrounds the home on three sides and includes brick archways with grapes vines, imported Mexican wrought iron furniture, brick ovens with customs grills, fountains, a green house with fresh herbs, stone statues I could go on and on… Also, we have an office at our disposal, and the enormous restaurant with a bar—All Private!! I still haven’t figured out the floor plan—it just keeps going and going. And I have never been in a building more crisp and clean—yet comfortably elegant!! Helen, the wife and manager provides wonderfully considerate service, and I feel so comfortable here that it was difficult for me to not walk into the kitchen to help Mira, the husband and chef, with the meal….Within the first 20 minutes of arriving we were settled in our rooms and planted on the veranda next to the water fountain enjoying a bottle of wine while we awaited our dinner… By the way, I had Grilled Salmon with oysters, shrimp and scallops in a cream sauce with fresh tomatoes… It was DIVINE!!!

Tomorrow we will be back to work, well… after my bubble bath…



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

The Epicure VerandaThe Epicure Veranda
The Epicure Veranda

We have this all to ourselves!!
The Epicure BreakfastThe Epicure Breakfast
The Epicure Breakfast

We have this all to ourselves!!


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb