Budapest


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
October 11th 2008
Published: October 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well it was a reasonable train ride, but one that I thought I was most likely to get some thing pinched from as we where stopping in small towns thru the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungry. My little blue blanky came in very handy, as I was able to lie out over the 3 seats for a majority of the trip. Once I got into town I had my mission of locating a hostel, one of which I was recommend and was shown as available an hour before for boarding the train was not, so I set out to locate a internet café where I could find some good hostels with in the area. It did not take long to find one nor did it to get the address of 3 good hostels in the area. I choose Aventura, a small place that some one had mention because it came with free breakfast and a little lunch pack of chips and a drink. I got a room no troubles and proceed to quiz the receptionist of what’s going to worth seeing for the day, where the atm and supermarket was located. After a shower I set out to see what sites I thought I would not do the following day on the free walking tour that I had already missed. I clocked up a few k’s during the day cruising down one of the main streets until I hit the Danube River, around here was a number of major shopping stores and a lot of cops, surrounding on the hotels. It was not till the following day that I found out that there was a NATO conference where I suggest Sophie (housemate from Tahoe) father would have been since he is quite highly ranked within the organization. So I finally made my way around all the road blockades, I headed to the Palace where I knew we where going to visit the following day, but since the weather was so great (sunny 20ish) I thought I better get some picks in case the weather worsened. After that I crossed the river again and headed along the foreshore where there was quite a funny piece of art, there where all these shoes lined up along the rivers edge, it was not until you got a closer look they had been bronzed, yet it was still something I enjoy observing some of the 1800 century art works I have view during this trip. From there I took in the Parliament that was located right on the river and is an impressive structure from standing at Palace atop of the Buda hills. The shear size of the building was only explained to me the following day during the free walking tour, it is symmetrical in shape, but has 3 different section to it, there was a design competition held and the top three entrants got there works included in the overall structure. From there I made my way back towards the hostel after a number of hours walking and crashed, I did plan to head to one of the major spa’s but decided that sleep and a good meal where more fitting. I continued my month long reclusive detox (that I set myself after Oktoberfest, well the detox part at least, but with not drinking in hostels comes less avenues of socialisation) and headed out for tea solo to a recommend restaurant from the hostel receptionist, I was on search for Hungarian goulash, which once again Cameron Shepherd had put me onto, an I was not disappointed.

Friday was my tourist day and I was up nice and early as I had a 10.30 free walking tour, once again these are not free, you just have to give a bit of a tip this instance it was so good I gave 1500 florets (10 bucks, standard for all tours). I could not actually find the tour once again before it left, but thankfully it had not left yet, the tour covered most of the areas that I had seen the day previous, but getting information about each is a lot more helpful understanding the structure and history. The basilica, the 2nd largest church in the world I think they called it was quite impressive, with my very un religious beliefs it still surprises me every time I walk into one of these churches how well they are keep and the precise detail that each of them contain and this church was no exception. The tour concluded just after one and I had some time to kill before I begun my Caving Tour that afternoon at 4, so I took a walk back to the hostel, it was hear crossing one of the bridges that I sport the island that my friend Doug recommend visiting and staying at the hostel located there also. I must say I am glad the hostel was closed, as I probably would have stayed there under his recommendation, as it looked like a run down shit hole, but I am glad to say that the park its self was quite beautiful. I spent a good amount of time wandering thru there and the autumn leaves and afternoon sun cutting thru the trees made it quite beautiful for the people, walking, running and riding thru there. I made my way back to the hostel to grab some food and get changed for my caving experience, we had to meet near the train station, only 2 blocks away, which was helpful. The tour start with a group of about 25 lost people looking for the tour guide, who arrived 10mins late, but it forced the group to chat and kill some time. After the guided did arrive he chatted to the group in very quite, but understandable English, but his personal skills where already showing. So being the reclusive type that I am I took charge of the group, getting them to follow and cross roads whilst he just wandered off with out and instructions. We arrived at the caving place where we were broken into two groups, thankfully mine the 2nd was not given the pleasure of being guided by the man in question, we in fact got a good guide who was quite the opposite. Caving was of the most physically involved things I have done on this trip, it does not required large amounts of energy or strength, its just the fact that your crawling around on your hands and knees or wigging thru holes on your back. Going into it I was a little unsure how my current suspect knee would hold up and to tell you the truth the caving did in no favours at all. But god it was good fun, I never felt claustrophobic at any stage, even when crawling thru hole with you stomach and back pin to a rock, you just think what can I do to get thru this, there was only one occasion that I was not able to get thru, whilst attempting it, in his Hungarian English the guide told me that my chest was too big for this hole, which was not and insult as I felt there was only way getting thru and that would involve cracking my rib cage. After about 3 or so hours of winding thru, up and down the caves we finally made it to the end and by god I was happy to get out, the body was not holding up to it well at all. It was actually 8.30 by the time we exited the cave, we where told we would be back at the train station where we had began at 8, so my plans to head to the springs straight was no longer on the cards, but since my tour guide antics had played out I had befriend a few crew and was informed about a late night Turkish springs that is open on the weekends from 10pm to 4am. So I headed back to the hostel and grabbed my gear and a few beer and headed around the corner to the another cool hostel (Groove) of a few of the crew I had meet on the tour. Once again I was left with the responsibility of tour guide as know how well girls plan things I thought I better suss out how to get there, I had 10 in toe and got them all there alive, included the absolutely smashed kiwi. The spa where really great, well some at least, the others smelled like arse, I was happy either sitting in the 40 degree or the icy cold water one, doing my footy hot and colds to save the body from a total shut down the next day. The sauna’s in there where like nothing I have experienced before, the dry sauna started at 50 degree in one section, then moved up to 60ish and the last sat a degree or two under 80. The steam room I am unsure about, but I did have trouble walking in there in the fist place, but once you sat down you could last a few minutes before having to enjoy a cold shower. After looking at my hands a few hours in I decided it was best to head back to my hostel and hit the hay, so I could wake from what I suspect was going to bed a good sleep.

I set myself a few alarms and passed out quite quickly, it was a great sleep, but I had to be up around 8ish to back my bags and get myself in order to make it to the airport in time for my flight to Amsterdam.

Where I sit now in the departure lounge typing up another blog for another major city that I did not ever image I would have seen during my lifetime. I was surprised at how much I loved Budapest, I had never heard a bad word spoken of it, but I was still not sure what to expect. My next time around I am sure to spend a bit more time seeing the city and enjoying the night life. I am glad that the weather was great considering it may have lessened my experience if I was not able to wander the streets for the two days I was there. I would be keen to have a look around Budapest, but even at this point in time I am not sure what there is to do outside it. If you’re in Eastern Europe you have to spend some time in Budapest for sure.




Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0889s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb