The hard life in Budapest


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
June 27th 2008
Published: July 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sometimes when you are travelling it can be a hard life. I know this is hard to believe but a place like Budapest certainly, makes things difficult. The problem with Budapes is that all over the city they have put these annoying thermal baths. So as part of your tourist activities you have to spend various amounts of time sitting in thermal baths. As I said its a hard life.

We arrived in Budapest and started our sight seeing straight away. In the past the city was actually split into 2 seperate cities by the danube river with each city known respectively as Buda and Pest. With the growth of the cities they eventually became one and formed what is now known as Budapest.

The city is home to all sorts of cool places and is quickly becoming one of the must see cities in Europe. We started our sight seeing by heading to the most famous district of the city known as Castle Hill. The area is not named after the area in Sydney but is named because of its large (yes you guessed it --- Castle). The area is really nice and is home to some of the best residences in Budapest. The hill also has some amazing views of the city.

From here we took our sightseeing across the river to the Pest side, the Pest side is home to the Parliament building which looks alot like the Houses of Parliament in London. Outside the Parliament there is a really famous flag. It is the Hungarian flag with a hole cut in the middle of it. This is a reminder of what occured in the 1956 when there was a mass uprising in the city. The flag was taken down by protestors who cut out the soviet coat of arms. They then put the flag back up the flag pole to show there want for a non-communist Hungary. To remind people of this event and the uprising a flag with a hole in the centre now flies outside the parliament.

One of the other places we were told to visit in the city was the Terror House. This building was occupied at different times by the Hungarian Nazi party the Red Arrow and the Soviet secret police. The building has now been turned into a museum which has all sorts of information and in parts quite shocking. When the building was abandoned by the soviet army the basement was discovered to have cells and soundproofed rooms which was where prisoners where interrogated. While people went about there daily business just outside.

The hardest part of travelling in Budapest is the thermal pools. After looking around the city for a day it was awesome to be able to just go and sit in a thermal pool. The complex that was our favourite was in the city park, and it is a huge place with 3 outdoor pools one which was an olympic swimming pool. Just waiting for you to soak. The park was also home to a castle and a very interesting gothic church that is one of the only ones in Europe.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Hole in the FlagHole in the Flag
Hole in the Flag

During Soviet times protestors cut the Soviet coat of arms out of the Hungarian flag
Terror MuseumTerror Museum
Terror Museum

Museum dedicated to the hardships suffered by the Hungarian people under both German and Soviet rule.
Freedom MonumentFreedom Monument
Freedom Monument

Ironically this monument was dedicated to the Soviet liberating army which then occupied the country


Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0862s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb