HUNGARY


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
October 13th 2023
Published: October 15th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Our ship Egil sailed through the night and arrived in Komarom, Hungary. This is as far as we can sail on the Danube because the water level is so very low. We were bussed into Budapest leaving at 8:30 this morning (about one hour drive). Arriving in Buda, we crossed the one of the many bridges spanning the Danube into Pest. The bus toured us around all the important area of Pest: Heroes Square, Parliament Buiildings, Iron Shoes monument, largest Jewish synagogue, Opera House, etc. First disembarkation was to walk over to Heroes Square. There are 14 statues - seven chieftains of the Magyar plus seven other important leaders. The tall column in the centre is Archangel Gabriel and is the Millennium Monument to commemorate the 1,000 years since conquest of the Carpathian area.

We see the Dohány Street Synagogue which is the largest in Europe seating 3,000 people. The Shoes on the Danube Monument is to commemorate the Jewish people who were shot by the fascist Hungarian Militia during WWII. Their bodies fell into the river to be swept away.

At the Inner City Church of our Lady of Assumption, it was discovered that there are Roman ruins under the church. They have built a glass floor over the remains so people can see them. Also in this church are ancient remains of paintings of the Virgin Mary and another fresco.

Our treat for today is traditional lunch at the Urban Restaurant consisting of chicken soup with Hungarian dumpling noodles, chicken paprikash served over dumpling noodles and a luscious little dessert of a piece of walnut cake with whipped cream & drizzled with chocolate. And of course excellent wine.

After that lunch we are on our own so we saunter over to Zrini Utca to take pictures of St. Stephens Basilica. And then walk around some of the streets that lead back to the Four Seasons Hotel where the bus will pick us up to take us back to the ship in Komaron. Tonight is the farewell cocktail party to say goodbye to all the wonderful staff who have looked after us so very well. It is sad to leave the ones we have gotten to know like friends.

Tomorrow we will be in the Hilton Castle District hotel and have two days to explore on our own.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



15th October 2023

B beautiful place for sure interesting things to see thank yo

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0719s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb