Hungary - The Danube Bend


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
March 24th 2022
Published: March 31st 2022
Edit Blog Post

Zebegény - The town has a rich history. By 1251 a Benedictine convent had been built in the valley of the Mill Creek. Records from the 8th century note the existence of the village. The first record of the village name dates from a letter of 1295, when it was called Zebeguen.

In the late medieval ages, during the Turkish invasion, the village was almost destroyed. Zebegény and the area repelled the Turkish invasion around 1685. Later the population was reduced by plague.

Since the early 1990s, Zebegény has become a popular destination among the people of Budapest. The first villas and week-end houses were built at that time. Due to its extraordinary landscape, healthy, clean air and its historic houses, the town is a favourite week-end retreat among the Budapesters.

Starting at the look-out we had fabulous panoramic views across the Danube.

As we walked we passed memorials & a small chapel continuing down the track into the village passing a small creek called Mill Creek that finally flows into the Danube.

In the village the various properties were well explained by Adam & that friendly German shepherd dog who just loved to be patted.


The second part of the tour was to the next village Nagymaros - Adam cycled along a lovely cycle path with dramatic landscapes following the river where the tour concluded overlooking the castle of Visegrad across the river.



https://www.heygo.com/tours/the-danube-bend-series-breathtaking-autumn-scenery-around-zebegeny


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

















Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb