Heroes Square - BUDAPEST


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
January 23rd 2021
Published: January 24th 2021
Edit Blog Post

14th January



Our tour today was with Zsuzsi around the Heroes’ Square area of Budapest.

The gateway to Budapest’s City Park, Heroes’ Square is a huge semicircular colonnade with 14 statues of men whose lives had major impacts on Hungary’s history. We learnt about about the different Magyars & Hungarian National leaders. There are altogether 7 kings, 7 chieftains and 7 statesmen immortalised in bronze.

Not quite so historical but Michael Jackson used the monument for the opening of the video ‘History’ - The one with the gigantic King Kong sized statue of Michael that engulfed the archangel tops.



We continued through the gateway and headed towards Vajdahuntyad Castle passing an area that in the Summer is a boating lake and in Winter an ice skating rink, although currently closed due to Covid.



Vajdahuntyad Castle was built in 1896 as part of the millennial exhibition.



It has different architectural designs, Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance, and Baroque. Originally, it was made from wood, but it became so popular that it was rebuilt from stone and brick between 1904 and 1908.



An interesting statue ‘ Anonymous’ is
within the castle grounds

Anonymus lived in the 12th century (his true identity is unknown, but he was a notary of The Deeds of the Hungarians.

He looked rather spooky!



Budapest has a long history of thermal baths and the sun gleaming on Szechenyi Spa Baths, the first hot spring bath palace on the Pest side of the city.



Currently closed but Zsuzsi showed photos of the thermal and spa pools.



I have visited Budapest before but had never visited this area so it was a great to experience this part of the city.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement






Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 18; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb