Citadel, Danube walking and Bridge Crossings


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
September 17th 2019
Published: September 18th 2019
Edit Blog Post

A perfect weather day so jumped in the bus and headed back over to Buda. Walked up to the Citadel with the stunning monument of the Symbol of Budapest. A woman with strength in her physical build and her stance holding up a large olive leave to symbolise future peace. A good walk uphill that delighted in the most magnificent views of 360 Budapest and right along the Danube which is the second longest river in Europe.

Heading back down on the bus I stopped at the waterfall at Rudy’s Furdo and ended up walking a fair way up the stairs again. There is always that sense of curiosity that takes you much further than intended. But once again the views didn’t disappoint. Unfortunately it was quite a dirty spot as well being littered with rubbish and cigarette butts. But the view was the focus.

Once again ambled on foot down to the Rudas. thermal baths where healing waters help your aches and pains. There are several of these in Budapest along the Danube. Thermal waters coming from underground with warm temperatures.

Ambling back across Margaret Bridge named after their ruler and continued to walk in the other direction towards Chain Bridge and beyond to the Danube Shoes Memorial.
Very sobering and upsetting. People are quiet and just sit on the wall. This trip through Poland and Central Europe has been very much a Jewish Pilgrimage. I have learnt so much about that horrendous time in history. Not only about the Jewish Holocaust but also the dreadful things that took place in Poland right up to 1989 under communist regime. It touches your soul deeply.

These shoes are a Memorial to all the Jewish people from the Jewish Ghetto in Budapest who were taken to the river walk, stripped naked and killed by gunshot by the Nazi Regime. They would then fall into the river and be washed away. These shoes represent this Holocaust from 1944-45.

Then bussed it part of the way back to accommodation and headed off to dinner at my local 100% gluten free restaurant to enjoy Traditional Hungarian Goulash and Berry Ricotta Cheesecake with a delicious Hungarian wine.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement






23rd September 2019

Citadel, Danube walking and Bridge Crossings
Speechless. History of the atrocities. Time to reflect and said a prayer Suzanne. Blessings . Anne

Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1147s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb