Budapest, Day 11


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest » Pest
August 28th 2016
Published: August 28th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Today was a bittersweet day as this was the last day of our cruise. We had to have our luggage out in he hall by 7:30. After a leisurely breakfast, we left the ship for the last time at 8:30 a.m. and boarded our bus to be dropped off at the Hilton. We are staying 2 extra days in Budapest while others are staying 1 extra day and they are staying at another hotel. Some people made their own arrangements and others were traveling home.

Once we got to our hotel those of us who signed up for the Jewish Interest Tour boarded a bus to take us to the Jewish Quarter. Once again, we had an excellent guide. She had been doing this since 1979 so was very knowledgeable. Our first stop was at the Jewish Synagogue and we were passed off to another guide as only a licensed Jewish guide could give tours inside the Synagogue. This Synagogue is the largest Synagogue in Europe and the 21nd largest in the world built between 1854 and 1859. The buildings and the courtyards of the Synagogue include the Jewish Museum, the Heroes' Temple, the Jewish Cemetery and the Raoul Wallenberg Memorial Park. The Holocaust Memorial, a weeping willow tree with the names of Hungarian Jews killed during the Holocaust inscribed on each leaf, is located in the Raoul Wallenberg Memorial Park. Also part of the memorial are 4 red marble plates commemorating 240 non-Jewish Hungarians who helped save Jews during the Holocaust. Among the heroic figures were Carl Lutz, Swiss and Raoul Wallenberg, Swedish diplomats, who rescued thousands of Jews.

Next, we went into the Jewish Museum which shows this history of Hungarian Jews, including the Holocaust.

We returned to our hotel and met some ladies that were just starting their cruise and had lunch with them at the mall next door. Afterwards we met Peter, our guide for the next 2 days, and he took us on a walking tour to get acclimated and show us the transit system. By now we were really tired so we opted to relax and maybe take a nap before our next optional tour, which was a Hungarian dinner and folklore show.

We traveled over the River Danube into Buda and drove for about 1/2 hour through what seemed like a forest until we reached our destination. It was a large restaurant which seems like it caters to tour groups. The tables are quite close together and they serve the food family style. The entertainment was good with lots of fiddle playing and dancing. All in all it was a fun evening and we are now back to our hotel looking forward to an included tour tomorrow to Szentendre. (We are told that this language is the most difficult language to learn and I believe it).


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Hollocaust MemorialHollocaust Memorial
Hollocaust Memorial

Weeping Willow Tree


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb