Back in Budapest


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest » Pest
July 22nd 2009
Published: July 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

We left Zagreb this morning on what was supposed to be a 1st class ticket and a 5 hour train ride to Budapest. Well, that didn't exactly work out. We were in a car that was labelled 1st class but I was a little apprehensive upon entry since all the 2nd class cars looked newer and shinier than ours and didn't have windows that were dirty with grime built up over the years! It started badly and got worse. After a 35 minute delay we left Zagreb station. The air conditioning unit turned out to be a warm air blowing unit so we resorted to opening windows outside our compartment and inside to try to get a breeze. It was brutally hot all the way and got hotter as the day went on (we left around 9:30 and arrived at 5:30 - one and one-half hours late. This was the return portion of the train down last week which was a Hungarian train and was very pleasant. This wasn't pleasant to say the least. We survived it barely - got to our hotel for a cold shower, cold water, air conditioning and now a cold beer. I assumed our train would be the same one as on the way down and assumed a 1st class ticket meant something - well I guess it meant something ...
The only travel misadventure so far ... we are okay now though and looking forward to another full day in Budapest. We are back at the same hotel and have a very nice room and will head out a little later for dinner. We still have a part of the city to explore tomorrow that we didn't have time to see last week. All for now!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0948s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb