Budapest Trip


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Budapest
March 8th 2011
Published: March 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Reading week in BUDAPEST



So for our equivalent of spring break here in Dublin, me and two of my friends decided to spend five days in budapest, hungary. we wanted to go somewhere we hadn't been before and somewhere we likely wouldn't travel to once we were back in the states. we had all heard great things about budapest, the flights were cheap, so we booked it!

we arrived on a saturday night and checked into the AMAZING hotel caroline's mom got us a great deal on. the bathroom had heated floors and when we walked in the tv screen said welcome ms. elbaor. very nice. we then went to what would soon be our favorite restaurant in budapest, koleves. we ordered appetizers like goulash (which was so good), entrees like beets/grilled goat cheese/arugula or chicken and potato puffs, dessert, and a bottle of wine for like 10 euro each. so much cheaper than dublin!

we spent the next few days exploring the city with one of rebecca's friends who is studying abroad there and ended up doing our own self guided walking tour too. We saw parliament, the danube, matthias church, st. stephens basilica, the jewish quarters, the doheny synagogue, a hungarian flea market, an indoor food market, and so much more! one of the highlights though was the hungarian bathhouse. for like $10 you get unlimited access to a bathhouse that has steam rooms, saunas, pools, and then the outdoor pool that is like a MASSIVE olympic swimming pool sized hot tub with jets and whirlpools and it was sooo relaxing. they use the idea of going from really hot to really cold and back again to rejuvenate your skin and it definitely works, i felt very relaxed.

One of our favorite parts about the trip though was definitely the food. we ate like queens for little to no cost. we had: crepes, goulash, beets, lots of chicken/yogurt, matzo cake, and my favorite, langos (a pastry filled with poppy seeds, SO good)

It was a really great trip and I can't wait for my next one to Brussels with my friend caroline 😊 I'm hoping to have enough money to plan at least one more trip, maybe to edinburgh, scotland/london or munich/austria. we'll see!

(Something is going wrong with the photo uploader but hopefully I can upload them somewhere else)

Advertisement



17th March 2011

Awesome!
Lauren, Just finished reading about your trip to Budapest. Envy, envy, envy!!!!!! Soak it in girl and go for every country you can! Wish I could send you a million bucks! Better yet, wish I had a million bucks, then I'd come over too!! :) Well today is St. Patrick's Day, so I'll wish you a wonderful, crazy AND safe Happy St. P-day... Watch out for all those crazy Americans there celebrating!!! ;) :)

Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0889s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb