Budapest


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Budapest
April 30th 2010
Published: April 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We flew from Warsaw to Budapest with LOT airlines, this worked out to be considerably cheaper (and more pleasant) than taking the train. We arrived in Budapest at night, and marvelled at how beautiful the city was with the numerous architectural wonders expertly lit up.

We were staying with Ace Hostel in central Budapest. This hostel was extremely cheap at $15 NZD per night but was extremely budget. We were greeted by Lesley. If you ever thought to yourself I wonder what a stereotypical Hungarian is like, Lesley was it. He was a happy, hospitable, and sporting a large moustache. The entire hostel appeared to be totally held together by cellotape, the table, the chairs, the oven, bed slates and several electrical fittings were all held together with cellotape. I think Lesley may have shares in 3M. Lesley was great, his hostel however needs a builder, an electrician, and a woman’s touch in terms of linen and cleaning. The hostel served its purpose of providing shelter and a shower.

We were very unfortunate to have rain for our entire time in Budapest. I was also very unfortunate to have some revolting stomach bug from cheese I ate in Warsaw (note: in Warsaw the things that look like lovely cream pastries are not cream pastries….they are solid blocks of smoked cheese, an entire mouthful of which is like eating a salty tyre). Therefore the raining/vomiting combo meant that the odds of enjoying Budapest were stacked against it, but Budapest came through.

We visited the large Budapest market, which contains loads of fresh fruit, meat, and vegetables as well as touristy type purchases and cheap meals. We also visited the castle district, despite the rain, the acres of castle and its surroundings was a real treasure. We visited the underground labyrinth underneath the castle, this was a lot of fun! The very dimly lit caves zigzag you into navigational oblivion. From the beginning you believe you are on an archaeological adventure, with ancient carvings on the walls, spooky statues lurking around corners and residue from pagan religious ceremonies up secret paths. You then progress to the ‘ancient footprint’ which happens to have a nikey tick on it (dare I say it but Mum was still fooled at this point), you then move to the ancient relics like a 1970’s hairdryer from Krakow, a well preserved toilet, and imprints of an IBM computer. Thus you come to the conclusion that you have been fooled from the beginning and you are the butt of a very cleverly crafted joke. This is a must visit!

What I saw of Budapest, I loved. Whilst not as cheap as other Hungarian locations, everything was still reasonably priced (except for its public transport). The evidence of carefully planned gardens means that this city must be beautiful in full spring. The city has numerous architectural wonders and several sights to see. I will make sure to come again.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

ParliamentParliament
Parliament

This photo does not do this magnificent building justice. My patience wore thin trying to photograph in the rain.


5th May 2010

I was not fooled by the foot print grrrr. You wait.

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0723s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb