Touring Kastoria


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » West Macedonia
March 16th 2009
Published: May 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

On our first trip to Kastoria, we had such a list of things to do that we really never got to explore the town so today Evy and I got up earlier to catch the 9 am Kastoria bus. At the last minute, Benjamin and Joshua decided to join us (I think it was the news that we would be using the INTERNET that changed Benjamin's mind).
It seems each time we take this bus the fare is different, so I really never know what we will be paying. I have taken to just holding out a handful of coins and letting the conductor select the correct amount. It was a crisp morning with a clear blue sky when the bus pulled into town. We decided to walk along the shoreline shops and restaurants that curve North from the down town. There are dozens of small rowboats moored just off shore. Geese, swans, and ducks swim just of the boardwalk and are are obviously not afraid of people, expecting to be fed. Unfortunately, we had forgotten to bring any bread for them, but there were quite persistent none the less, with one goose almost biting my camera lens.

Historically Kastoria was a large fur trading centre (the town name comes from the word kastor, meaning beaver). There are numerable stores selling furs in the town, and many of the tourist shops also sell furs. Evy picked up some sheep skin gloves in one of these stores.

We visited the INTERNET place again and were able to make a final check about bus timetables. We know see that we can make it to the town of Lefkada in time to catch the final bus to Nidri. This is good news as it will mean we don't have to take an expensive 45 minute taxi ride. After grabbing some lunch at the bakery, we picked up some postcards and took the bus back to are apartment in Koromilia.

We did school work in the afternoon until Alex, the younger boy from upstairs, came down to get Joshua to play soccer. After dinner his whole family came down for a visit, thinking that we were leaving tomorrow (Tuesday). We explained that we had found there was a bus on Wednesday, and that we were now back to our original departure date.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1981s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb