On the buses


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Santorini
October 29th 2013
Published: October 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The local buses in Santorini are a great way to travel around the island at relatively low cost compared to taxis which often charge very high prices and coach tours. We were lucky that our apartment in Fira was just a short walk from Fira bus station.

In October the local buses were not full but in high season it may be difficult to get on a bus. Fira bus station is an interesting place. Destinations, bus times and fares were all well listed but several buses all left at the same time on the hour. It was not clear which bus was going where and many people were left wandering around and asking everyone in an attempt to locate the correct bus. By luck or good fortune most people managed to get on the right bus.

Our first bus trip was to Perissa and Pyrgos. We enjoyed a nice walk by the sea and the black sand beach at Perissa before enjoying stifado - tender beef chuks in a sauce at a seaside restaurant.

On our return to Fira we hopped off the bus at Pyrgos a sleepy village on a steep hill. Pyrgos has many winding alleys leading up to the top of the hill where there are fantastic views of Santorini island and the countryside.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb