Sisterhood of the Traveling France


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Santorini
April 15th 2010
Published: May 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

From Ios to Santorini


Thursday, we decided to make a quick day trip to Santorini—the island where they filmed Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants! The ferry schedule didn’t actually give us that much time there—only about four and a half hours—but this was long enough for us to do what we had come for…riding donkeys! We took the cable car ride down from the main town to the water (Allison and Denise were terrified) and then we rode some donkeys back up some 700 steps! It was fabbbbbbbbulous, although far less organized than we had been expecting. Basically we walked by all these donkeys that were just chillin’, then the guy helped me climb on one, and then my donkey just started going. I was a little concerned (should there be someone in front of me? Shouldn’t my donkey wait until everyone else is on their donkey?) but it didn’t seem like a big deal to anyone else…the others got on their donkeys and caught up to mine quickly and a “guide” (probably a 14 year old who spoke no English) followed us. Michael’s donkey took off and we lost sight of him pretty quickly, but the rest of our donkeys stayed together, occasionally going over to the edge to eat, or getting close to the cliff edge and freaking us out. It was over way too soon and we all felt like Lena in Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants—it was great.

Afterwards we had a nice lunch at a restaurant with a terrace that looked out over the water. I had swordfish souvlaki which was fabulous, and nobody ordered pizza so that was a win. We all got dishes of gelato while walking around the town looking at all the cute little shops before taking the terrifying bus back down to the port to catch our ferry back to Ios. (It was terrifying because of the hairpin turns on the huge cliff…but we survived!)



Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



9th May 2010

Santorini
Donkeys! I'm glad you didn't fall off! That cliff is steep!

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb