Still in Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Santorini
July 2nd 2008
Published: July 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well, it's seems forever since my last blog. Last I wrote we were in Meteora which was wonderful. From Meteora we headed back to Athens to finally mail our third bag to the states. Four times we lugged that damn thing to different post offices - Mark was very happy to see it go ;-) Luckily I had purchased a $50.00 (yes...$50.00!!!!) Lonely Planet from a bookstore that was kind enough to give me two big book boxes as the post office had no boxes for mailings. We packed up our tent, sleeping bags and two jackets plus misc. stuff and wrapped the boxes up in brown paper - kind of like Christmas really! The postal worker commented on my lovely wrapping job and I beamed while Mark was just happy he only had tape duty!

From Athens we headed to Mykonos and stayed at a campground bungalow for 25 Euro a night. Luckily we met a really wonderful Kiwi couple DJ and Amber so we got to hang out a few days with them. DJ is our hero as he was able to buy ice from a restaurant and we made vodka drinks all night! The next morning hurt...a
Funky Penis GuyFunky Penis GuyFunky Penis Guy

Athens Museum
lot...but it really was one of the most fun nights of the trip. We stayed at Paraga beach (one cove away from Paradise) and I learned something very important. What's worse than a fat man in a speedo? A NAKED fat man!!! Mark refused to doff his trunks so we didn't get any color on our sensitive parts ;-) He burns easily!

From Mykonos we headed to Ios...used to be a hippy party island. Not so much anymore. It's an island full of 18 - 21 year olds...the biggest meat market I've ever seen. I felt old...very old. Two girls or two guys would have an amazing time...as long as they were under the legal drinking age in the States...as it was Mark and I hung out at the pool and enjoyed our lovely dinners out. I think Mark greatly enjoyed the pool time...lots of lovelies - tops off- and he was the only man there. We were there for three nights but I think it had more to do with the fact Mark really enjoyed our airconditioned room...or it could have been the boobies!!!

From Mykonos we took the slow ferry to Santorini - it's an amazing
MykonosMykonosMykonos

Our pool
site. The Caldera is huge and unique and the cities look like snow on mountaintops. We stayed at Perrissa beach which is quite the backpacker place. No sidewalks, lots of places to eat and a fabulous room for 26 Euro each night with airconditioning and a pool! The beaches are black sand, very hot! We didn't actually make it to the beach though due to our schedule. We rented a car, drove around the island...hiked up to some more ruins at ancient Thera...more foundations...one standing column....BUT I must say the actual location was amazing! You could see everything from this very high mountain top. It was worth it to hike up there in 90+ degree weather. I did groan a bit though. Saw Fera and Oia, went diving in search of the lost city of Atlantis (no luck) did a dinner cruise around the caldera and then it was time to go!

The Akrotiri site on Santorini is still closed due to a "technical reasons" - which really means that the roof collapsed and killed a tourist in 2003. Everyone is kind of hush hush about it here and there is no time table as to when it will
Ferry to IosFerry to IosFerry to Ios

Why is it he looks so cute windblown with no shower! Not fair!!!!
re-open. Would very much like to see it as it was preserved in ash (like Pompeii) and looks quite exciting. Mark is very much into the Thera wall paintings which were taken from the site and exhibited throughout Greece. Haven't had too much luck with them but we did see the collection or replications in Santorini and many of the originals as well.

I think that's it for now. Miss you all!

Much love,

Andrea


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Backgammon in IosBackgammon in Ios
Backgammon in Ios

We are fiends at Backgammon
SantoriniSantorini
Santorini

Oia at sunset
Ancient TheraAncient Thera
Ancient Thera

More Rubble Eh?
Diving SantoriniDiving Santorini
Diving Santorini

Searched for Atlantis but came up empty handed!


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb