My Big Fat Greek Cruise: Patmos


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Patmos
October 18th 2007
Published: October 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our next port of call was the Greek Isle of Patmos. Our first view of Greece almost brought tears to my eyes. The water was the deepest, yet brightest blue I have ever seen...almost purple. Patmos was everything I pictured.....white houses with blue doors, fishing boats, men sitting around drinking ouzo (ahhh, makes me homesick for Papoo), and everything perched high up on the cliffs..I was surprised that the Islands really look like big brown rocks jutting out of that incredible azure water. We even found ourselves a taxi driver that looked like a long lost Moskonas Uncle. We headed up to the Cave of John the Apostle..the cave in which John was exiled to and received the book of Revelations from Jesus. ..it was appropriately holy and cavelike. I couldn't help but think,...if you are going to get exiled, not a bad place to be....although I doubt that biblical Greece ran gyros up to his cave when he needed a rest from his writing. We grabbed our little Moskonas-esque taxi driver and went to the top of the cliff to visit the Monastary of St. John. Very beautiful, we even spotted a Greek monk with long black togs and beard who looked like he had just stepped out of the bible. Unfortunately, he did not look like he was in the mood to have his photo taken.
The girls were much more enthralled by the local supply of cats and dogs, than any religious relics or cliff top views....c'est la vie.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The Cave of John the ApostleThe Cave of John the Apostle
The Cave of John the Apostle

no photos inside, unfortunately
PatmosPatmos
Patmos

view from outside The Cave of John the Apostle
CaveCave
Cave

mosaic of God giving John the Revelation.
Nic and girls, PatmosNic and girls, Patmos
Nic and girls, Patmos

Ab is a little carsick from the taxi ride, poor baby.
Patmos viewPatmos view
Patmos view

You can see our ship in the harbor..we had to be brought to shore by tender boat, as the port was too small for the ship
PatmosPatmos
Patmos

The grayish building on the tippy-top is St. John's Monastery.
Greek kittyGreek kitty
Greek kitty

The girls found a great number of Greek kitties to harrass.
PatmosPatmos
Patmos

white and blue! Nate has decided to move to Greece and sell white paint. He thinks you would make a fortune!
Bella and Nate in the AegeanBella and Nate in the Aegean
Bella and Nate in the Aegean

...yes, naked again


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb