Mykonos


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Mykonos
October 8th 2016
Published: October 8th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Day 16 - Fri. Oct. 7 - Port of call: Mykonos, Greece. Weather: Sunny with temperatures of 79°F/26°C



Got up early so I could get in an uninterrupted 3-mile walk, that is twelve times around the Lower Promenade. Last evening, I tried unsuccessfully to put in the distance but the crew had assembled several groups of individuals who had to have their mandatory boat drill and they were blocking the deck. It seems that some people were not on board when the original drill was done at 3:30 pm and the ship cannot sail until every passenger takes part in the drill. Being up early I was able to watch the sun rise above the island of Mykonos as we approached the harbour.



Mykonos is an island that lies in the southern Aegean Sea between Tinos, Paros, Naxos and Syros. The island is a popular vacation destination and with the fast ferries from the mainland thousands of visitors can take advantage of the hotels and resorts on the island.



As today was our first day at sea Brooke followed a little breakfast tradition that she established and had smoked salmon & croissants. John who is also fond of smoked salmon decided to join her.



Today we opted not to go on an organized shore excursion. We purchased shuttle tickets into town and went walking through the town on our own. In town we headed to Little Venice where the buildings have been erected on the edge of the sea with balconies hanging over the water. On our way through town we encountered extremely narrow cobblestone and hilly streets, stark white buildings with brightly coloured doors. The other distinctive architectural features are the numerous windmills, both derelict and restored. Many of the restored windmills have been turned into private residences.



After enjoying an enjoyable Greek lunch we wandered back to the shuttle stop and on the way stopped so John could take a few minutes to join the local fish and take a dip in the ocean at one of the public beaches.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



9th October 2016

Yummy!
Oh my gosh. Smoked salmon and croissants. That is going to be my next order from Tesco. Please don't tell me you're having lobster tomorrow.

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0592s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb