Mykonos – Paradise Beach day & night!


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Mykonos
July 29th 2011
Published: November 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Last day & night on Mykonos! We got up around 11:30am and headed straight to Paradise Beach to check it out since it is the most famous beach on Mykonos. It was actually pretty challenging to find Paradise Beach, the signs were a little inconsistent at the intersections and we had a couple of wrong turns that took us at least 20 minutes out of our way. We finally stopped and asked directions and made it down to the correct beach. Basically Mykonos is a big hill that sticks up out of the ocean (as a lot of islands are I’m sure) and due to the folds of the valleys and indentations of the shore line there isn’t a way to circumnavigate the island. To go from one beach to the next you must go back to the top of the hill or center of the island and then over and down to the next beach.

Steve and Rachel recognized the hotel that the Australian couple Matt and Paige were staying at on the road to the beach, and the hulk of the bus that is half buried in the sand and also the little café place were the helpful waitress Alexi worked so we knew we were in the right place. The Cavo Paradiso is just off to the left of the beach if you are looking at the ocean and up a small hill. The club itself would have a great view out over the ocean from the top of the small cliff it’s on. We parked the car in the dirt lot at Paradise Beach Club and went in and rented chairs in that area.

To be honest I didn’t think Paradise Beach was as nice as Ag Stefanos, the little beach by our hotel, Paradise was really a small strip of coarse sand and the water was definitely colder on this side of the island. We did go in the water and did some sunbathing, although I think Rachel and I stayed in the shade more that in the sun. We also grabbed a bite to each from the club, some toast, pitas, and gyros. Okay here’s the other part I was disappointed about: where was all the crazy partying and shenanigans we had read about on the internet?!? This beach was way quieter than Mylopotas Beach on Ios even. From what I had heard I expected people dancing on the sand and drinking contests, etc. To be honest the beach club did have some dancers up on the tables when we were getting ready to leave and the music was just starting as well, but wow did the dancers look totally uninterested in what they were doing. We stayed until about 4:30-5pm so we could go back into town to catch the sunset at Little Venice which was supposed to be world class.

We also wanted to go back to the hotel to get cleaned up so we could come back out to Paradise Beach to meet up with Matt & Paige. We stopped at their hotel on the way back up the hill and Steve ran up to their room to see if they still wanted to up to meet up later on. Just as Steve was going to knock they opened the door to find him just standing there outside their room! Too funny, talk about awkward timing!

On the way back to Mykonos Town Rachel spotted a Starbucks so we turned around and went there. We picked up some souvenir Starbucks Greece cups and mugs and got some cold drinks for our personal consumption. We parked and walked around town and did some more shopping for souvenirs. We, along with loads of other people, hung out along the shore by Little Venice right below the famous windmills and Zorba’s restaurant. We took a bunch of photos but didn’t stay to the very end because we were getting a bit restless. For some reason I didn’t bring my camera, don’t ask me why since I had been eager to take photos of Little Venice for ages. But whatever we got some great shots with Rachel’s camera. We also stopped along the edge of the road and took some more photos over looking Mykonos Town which was just gorgeous with all the soft pinks and golds of the sunset.

While we were driving back to the hotel Rachel started videoing our ride home with the gorgeous sunset colors. As we were driving some douche squirted me and Rachel with a squirt gun or something! Lol it’s all on the video. We can laugh about it now, but I was pissed since it hit me directly in the eye while I was driving. Rachel continued videoing all the way to the room. Steve and I spotted a mamma kitty and her babies at a house below the hotel and I tried to get some photos but they were a little too far away and the light was fading fast.

We decided to pregame at the hotel and I had four Gordon Spaces while Steve and Rachel worked on the Absolut. Whew the cold was kicking my butt -I had to rest up / sober up so I could shower and drive back to Paradise Beach to meet Paige & Matt. At least now we know how to get to Paradise Beach, it would have been horrible trying to find it for the first time in the dark. So we drive out there and Steve wants to go straight to Cavo Paradiso to find Paige & Matt, but I was hungry and wanted to stop at the café/snack bar place right below Cavo. Luckily as we drove by the café Rachel spotted Paige & Matt eating there. Yay! I grabbed a spinach pita and we ended up staying there while they all had several rounds of Red Bull vodkas since they were much cheaper there than at the clubs. Since Steve
Little Venice MykonosLittle Venice MykonosLittle Venice Mykonos

Rachel, me & Steve
had misread the flyer for Cavo and texted too late for us to get free admission (regularly 30 €s each), we decided to go across the street to the Paradise Beach Cub where the drinks were allegedly cheaper.

The club was very cool inside which is basically a walled in pool area with an open roof and only the edges under a bit of an overhang. So it was basically like being outside (read no A/C) with walls blocking the cooling ocean breezes. There were different areas to hang out in and benches to lounge on. We stayed for several rounds but it was pretty warm and there was just no air moving. So we moved to a different section with big cushy lounge areas but the drinks were super expensive at 15 €s for one small Red Bull vodka, yikes!! We sat outside this area on the actual beach for a few and this guy with ‘Oh Yeah’ on his t-shirt came up and started talking to us since he realized we were from the US. He was pretty odd though!

We then decided to go back to Paige & Matt’s hotel right up the road and drink our vodka and it was already 4:30am anyway. They had an awesome balcony that we hung out on talking and drinking until about 6-6:30am when the sun started coming up. Lol I guess Matty said it was a good thing we hadn’t come by a little earlier during the day when we stopped by as Paige was flashing everyone with her bath towel and Matt was doing the ‘helicopter’ with his 'equipment' in the doorway to horrify people. Oh my timing is everything I guess. While we were sitting there on Matty & Paige's balcony the bus going down the hill to Cavo hit a guy on a scooter who was going up the hill. The bus never stopped even though the bus slowed down and the bus driver looked out the window so we were pretty sure they know they hit someone, crazy!!

I tried to get a couple hours sleep as we had to be up around 10am for our transfer to the ferry and so I could meet the rental car agent at the new port at 11am. We also packed before we headed out to Paradise Beach so at least that was done. Steve realized he had lost the Nikon point & shoot camera out of his pocket sometime during the evening when we got back to the hotel so we lost all the photos from the 27th to the 29th that were on it. Which is why there are no photo's from the 27th at all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

Rachel & I at sunsetRachel & I at sunset
Rachel & I at sunset

Little Venice Mykonos
Mykonos transportMykonos transport
Mykonos transport

Narrow roads make this a great vehicle


14th January 2012

About your photos
Hi! I just run into your blog! I live in Mykonos all year round :) Strange, I have a same dog as the guard dog on your photos :) I run mykonosgold.com website, and I am collectiong photos for our new photo galleries, if you want to you can send us some of yours and see them published in our website. contact me at info@mykonosgold.com thank you in advance

Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 21; qc: 77; dbt: 0.1225s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb