Captain Klutz strikes again!


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Mykonos
July 27th 2005
Published: July 27th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hello all, Graeme here, in what will likely be our last (and likely lengthy) travelblog. A few words are needed on Rome before I delve into the insanityy of the Greek Islands. As Jen mentioned, Rome was sweltering, and I found it a bit annoying to walk in such heat given Rome's spartan metro system. The Colosseum was no doubt surreal as was the Vatican. One thing I found weird was how proud Rome seemed of conquering half the world. Surely it wasnt all benign, right? St.Peters Basillica is an impressive peice of architecture, which makes you forget about that little old man who lives above telling people condoms facilitate evil. Seeing the Sistine Chapel, you can only marvel at the fact that one man painted the entire thing(or did he have help?). Anyways, after seeing some impressive, bigger than life sights, and meeting some really great people at 'Yellow Hostel' we got out of Rome without any security problems, and flew to Athens.

Athens to Mykonos: Basically we B-Lined it to the port and waited for a night ferry that ended up being 2 hours late. We arrived in Mykonos at 9am after a horrible sleep on the boat deck. At Mykonos we met Chester Ryan and FOB at Paradise Beach Club, where me and Jen slept in a tool shed with 2 cots...Basically this is how we met - We got off the ferry and I saw the Paradise bus and thought 'this is where the guys will end up,' then me and Jen went to the beach and I thought 'ok right about now is when one of the guys is gonna walk by us,' and soon enough FOB walked by us....Anyways we met up and that night me and Jen went into town for dinner with a couple from Jersey. On the bus ride home Jen puked immensely out the bus window...ya....so....after the barfing, Jen wasnt down for much the next night but everyone else drank and me and Juddy found some rum. But I only had a bit and there was lots of Coke and ice in my glass.

Ok, so we packed up and headed for Paros. By this point Ive eaten about 400 spinach pies and 700 Fantas...me and Jen stowed away on the guys' Busabout tour this day, then crashed on their floor both nights. During the full day in Paros, we all went and did some Scuba (beach dives), and later went out for dinner. jen got stuffed tomatos(rice) and they were freakin' delicious. I got some classic Saganaki...the next day the guys left and me and Jen stayed an extra night. Basically that day we slept in and went to the beach briefly where we fed a "homeless" dog water and food, only to see the dog run over to its owners and take a massive crap...obviously it wasnt starving, so me and Jen sheepishly walked away from the scene as the dogs owners stared us down...

Ok, onto Ios....ummm well the first night we ate Mexican food and Jen got sick, so I went solo with the guys for Sasha's B-Day. We all went to this rock club, and we heard a couple Bad Religion songs...(PG 13 version). The next day I slept a lot, and Jen did a bit of window shopping. Later we headed back to the beach where we ate dinner with the boys...then everyone left to go back to their beach club, while me and Jen lingered behind at some stores. Soooo, on the way to Chesters, we were walking on the sidewalk and all of a sudden Jen falls into an uncovered manhole. Seriously, this frightened the hell out of me, and I pulled her out of it as quick as possible. Luckily she only has some scrapes on her, but let this be a lesson to any future travelers to the Greek Islands: Their Public Works workers are lazy sons of bitches and incredibly incompetent. So we got jen cleaned up thanks to Kim the nurse from Oz, and headed back to our place in the village around midnight where I saw 2 thrilling episodes of Matlock and Walker Texas Ranger....

So now its today, however redunant that sounds I dont care, and we are in Santorini....ahhh Santorini, very beautiful views. We are here for 5 nights...by now you all will have decifered that Turkey is not in our plans. We figured it was too far away and expensive to get there. cant win them all I guess. After Santorini its 1 night in Athens and a night in London(2nd). Im arranging a shuttle bus direct from Luton to Heathrow so I dont have a panic attack (however irrational) on the metro during rush hour. We arrive in Vancouver at 430pm PST. I have a hockey game at 8 so thats cool....ok bye for now....oh ya, did I see that Seattle was 38 degrees a couple days ago? Whats the weather like in Vancouver? Greece is hot but windy on the beaches....ok, peace

A breif interlude by Jen:
'OK, I just have to say, that if I receive one more email from some uptight, angry Frenchman/Italian/Greek who can't take a joke than you can expect to receive an equally nasty email back!'
~jen

Actually we havent had a chance to make fun of the Greeks other than their shotty Public Works. By in large the Greeks have been great to us...far less perverted than those Italians and much more happy than the French (or Parisians if you will)....-Wood



Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.068s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb