Ios - Homers Tomb? and even more clubs - Day 7


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Ios
June 11th 2007
Published: January 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The way to Homer's TombThe way to Homer's TombThe way to Homer's Tomb

The long pathway to Homer's Tomb
We decided to drive out to what is allegedly Homer’s Tomb in Plakotos in the Northern part of the island today. The road was partly paved (oil and gravel) and part dirt; weird. Homer’s Tomb is on a point of land surrounded by hundreds, maybe even thousands of bee hives. When we got out of the car the buzzing was really loud.

You walk out a long trail from the parking area to Homer’s Tomb. There’s an ancient stone engraved with writing, but really no other information there, basically just a stone tomb overlooking the sea.

We probably only stayed about 30 minutes or so, the view was spectacular but there really wasn’t much else there. Steve built a little stone structure because he wanted to and I got a picture of it. We headed back stopping at Agia Theodaki on the way. Not much at all there, just a small beach and a couple of tavernas. Agia Theodaki is reached by a crazy twisty, steep road.

We stopped for lunch at Fiesta for some pizza on the main road between the port and Mylopotas Beach . Fiesta was recommended to us by the transfer driver as having the best pizza on the island. They have a wood fired pizza oven but it is only on after 5pm. Anyway the pizza was still really good. The owner’s of Fiesta served us and are super nice. We went to Mylopotas Beach for the rest of the afternoon then we grabbed all of our dirty laundry and dropped it off in town at the Sweet Irish Dream Laundry.

Headed back to the hotel to shower and headed out for the night. We first went to the Red Bull as they had 2 for 1 drink specials inside the bar. Ended up talking to the bartender and found out he was from Scotland , really nice guy even though he was wearing a headband. :-) We met a couple from the U.S. who were on their honeymoon, they were very cool and were also headed to Santorini. We danced and partied like crazy and ended up drinking a lot drinks and shots! The owner of our hotel and the bartender from our hotel came into the Red Bull and kept buying us rounds of shots, so of course we had to reciprocate and kept buying them rounds of shots. Eek!!
Me & Steve at Homer's TombMe & Steve at Homer's TombMe & Steve at Homer's Tomb

Well this is the area of Homer's Tomb anyway
luckily I kept myself in check as I was driving later (much later, but still)

After this we went over to the Orange Bar. We were all pretty well set for drinks so we had only one drink at the Orange Bar and left. Steve didn't want to go back to the hotel! He tried really hard to persuade us to stay out. On the way back to the car we stopped for gyros at Georgies. Got back to the hotel round 3am and Alice immediately got wretchedly sick to her stomach. :-(



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Steve, Me and AliceSteve, Me and Alice
Steve, Me and Alice

Couldn't tell you which bar this was


Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 84; dbt: 0.0795s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb