The first 'hop' - Ios


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Ios
May 11th 2008
Published: May 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well we've arrived in Ios 3 days ago. We had the EARLIEST start in Crete, but everything went smoothly and we landed in Ios at about 12.30. We were a bit worried about sorting out accomodation as we hadn't booked anywhere, but we really didn't have a problem! Within about 10 seconds of jumping off the boat, we were surrounded by people showing us their rooms to hire. We got a really good deal with one, paying only E22.50 per night for the both of us. The guy took us up to the Chora (which is the name for Ios town - and every other main town in the Cyclades!). Our first impressions of our acc was WOW simply because of the view! It was set up above the town, looking onto a classic Cycladic town with the sea and some other islands beyond. We spent the first evening on the balcony looking over the town with the sunset - not a bad way to live!

The weather has been pretty good since being here (apart from today) so we've been to Mylopotas beach which is about 2km from the town. We've also been having our first taste of a much more Greek, and far less "packagy" Greece, as Ios doesn't have an airport which means it really only has backpackers and locals in it. We were right next to a farm where the shepherd herds his goats on the back of a donkey - that sort of thing! Everyone is really friendly as well, and there's a real mix of people = we've met Irish, Canadian, American plus others. It's so much more of a nicer feel than a lot of the more touristy Greece.

We've moved apartments today as it's Sam's birthday and we wanted somewhere a bit nicer for that - also the hill up to the last ones was a nightmare! These are more central. Today we've been for lunch and we were meant to be doing some watersports but it's not that nice weather (i.e. RAIN) so we plan to do that tomorrow. Ios has hundreds of bars all tucked away in it's tiny cobbled streets and it's really meant to get going after 11pm so we're going to check that out tonight as well!!

Next stop is Naxos and we'll be there Tuesday, which is exciting! Farewell for now, love Sam and Charlie xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb