May Day Celebration


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Ionian Islands
May 4th 2012
Published: May 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

What a wonderful day out we had with Sofia and Costa!

Apparently it is customary on 1 May for people to pick the wild flowers and make garlands and place them on their doors, as well to give bunches to friends and even place them on cars and motorbikes etc. The idea, it would seem, is "to catch May"! What a wonderful and colourful tradition.

After enjoying the festivities of Vonitsa - we arrived just in time to find an empty table and have some mouth wateringly delicious lamb and bread served to us a few minutes later! - we set off to the mountains of Levkada. (Not very far from Vonitsa)

Sofia and Costa have an old caravan which they keep, in the olive grove of a friend, on Levkada. So we headed for that and a mandatory siesta! Revived and refreshed, Costa then took us on a guided tour of Levkas (the name is interchangeable). Wow! One just can't describe the beauty of the view from the top of the mountains. We could see the islands for miles around. It was breathtaking!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

UploadedFile2UploadedFile2
UploadedFile2

Lunch is a with your hands deal! Basic, but scrummy!
UploadedFile3UploadedFile3
UploadedFile3

The customary garland of flowers. And a local Priest enjoying the festivities!
UploadedFile4UploadedFile4
UploadedFile4

Nature at its best!
UploadedFile0UploadedFile0
UploadedFile0

Costa and Sofia's home away from home! A glorious way to spend the afternoon.
UploadedFile1UploadedFile1
UploadedFile1

The swinging bridge is not working so they are using a ferry boat for the cars to cross the canal. Yachts can't get thro on the hour now...
UploadedFile4UploadedFile4
UploadedFile4

Wild flowers left by Lynne at the bottom of our ladder
UploadedFile5UploadedFile5
UploadedFile5

Kevin's 'very expensive' Indian slip slops after a day in the Greek sun! They've shrunk by a size or two and curled up at the edges..! You could drink soup out of them now...! ;-)


9th May 2012
UploadedFile4

Love this pic.

Tot: 0.3s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb