Corfu island, Greece: The queen of the Ionian Sea


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Ionian Islands » Corfu
May 25th 2014
Published: May 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Corfu island


The queen of the Ionian Sea, really charms every visitor. The city harbour, one of the most beautiful of Greece, is the first picture for anybody who reaches the island by sea. The central square of Corfu, with Kamares, the little island Pontikonissi, Benitses and Paleokastritsa are well known spots of the island. A visit to Achillio is also imperative. The beaches of the island are excellent and the cuisine has a great deal to offer to everyone who tastes it!

Corfu Town

A really beautiful city, the Capital of the island of Corfu, with strong Venetian, French and English influence, is itself a unique destination. Esplanade, a large and beautiful square, is the largest in the Balkans. If you walk in it, you will admire many beautiful buildings and within the small alleys you will find many small souvenir and trade shops. Finally, you must not forget, since you got there, to taste the famous local dish “pastitsada”.

Pontikonissi, Corfu

One of the most famous sights of Corfu is this green rock that got its name from its shape. It looks like a mouse. In Pontikonissi there is a church dedicated to the Transfiguration of Sotiros. In order to get there, where the visit is short-term in order to protect the natural environment, you will begin across from the cannon, with the boats you’ll find there . Even if we fail to walk, it is worth making the circumnavigation of the island with a boat.

Paleokastritsa, Corfu

An area of Corfu, known worldwide for its natural beauty. The green waters are joined by the gray rocks, creating a unique image. The area is about twenty minutes from the town of Corfu and is highly developed, since there are so many options for accommodation, food and fun. From the first moment, Paleokastritsa will attract your attention!

Kassiopi, Corfu

Picturesque village in the north of the island with a beautiful beach. It lies about 40 kms from Corfu town. The beach is well organized and in recent years a lot of people visit it. Cassiopi has tourist infrastructure for both hospitality and entertainment, as for the famous cuisine of Corfu.

Ipsos, Corfu

One of the most famous beaches of the island, just 15 km from Corfu town. This is a very well organized tourist area with many options for accommodation and entertainment. The beach is sandy and there is a physical infrastructure for water sports. We highly recommend a walk by the sea while the sun goes down!

Lefkimmi, Corfu

Pretty little town on the southern island of Corfu. The small town crosses a picturesque canal, giving it a distinctive colour. In general, the area retains a strong traditional component. Just south of town, the visitor encounters the port. In the area there are many Byzantine churches and monasteries.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.219s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb