Corfu - A little info


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Ionian Islands » Corfu
May 20th 2010
Published: May 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

So Corfu (also called Kerkyra) is the northernmost Greek Ionian Island with a population of about 110,000 in an area of 593km2 making it one of the most densely populated areas of Greece. However it doesn't seem that once you step away from the Town and major tourist resorts. Corfu is very popular, especially with the British; why? Well it has some of Greece's best beaches. The climate makes it a very green island yet there is virtually no rain in the hot summer months. The scenery is outstanding, the north being dominated by the slopes of Mt Pantokrator, the fertile Ropa Valley, the beaches the vistas. The people are very friendly especially if you make the effort to say a few Greek words to them. Inland, often not far from the coastal resorts are hillside and mountain villages where life goes on much as it has done for hundreds of years. Corfu town itself is a gem and it really is a place to explore. It is a UNESCO world heritage site well worthy of at least a days visit for everyone who holidays on Corfu. Two forts to visit that afford wonderful views over the town, many museums, wonderful buildings showing the influence of the Venietians, French and British cultures. Plenty of shops and restaurants as well. History is all around you, deserted mountain villages, monastries, castles, old Corfu town, museums, old churches, mansion houses, ancient olive presses, even the olive trees (some 2 -3 million of them) some of which are 400 hundred years old. The Island has several Natura 2000 sites including Halikiopoulos Lagoon ( this is the one you fly over coming into land at Corfu airport), Lake Korrission in the south and Antinioti Lagoon in the north. The Island is rich in flora especially in the spring and autumn. Fauna is evident for those who look; geckos, lizards, terrapins and harder to see snakes and tortoises. Other mamals and amphibians are there but not seen so much such as rabbits, hares, rodents, frogs, toads and even otters. Boat trips are popular and offer the best chance of a sighting of dolphins. Bird life is plentiful outside the shooting season and the protected Natura sites are visited my migatory birds. On the thermals of the mountains you see Eagles and Griffin Vultures, Honey Buzzards are often seen later in the year. Insects to are plentiful; you will hear the circadeas daily but rarely see one. Butterflies are everywhere and fireflies in May evenings are a sight to behold. Look more carefully and you will find many grasshoppers and crickets some a bright flourescent green, the praying mantids and even stick insects. Be prepared for the pesky mosquitoes and in autumn the wasps. My walk with two days in Corfu town will hopefully take in most of what I've been describing so take the journey with me and discover a Corfu that maybe different from what you know and love and may inspire you, if not to walk the trail or one of the many Corfu walks (as its often too hot to do so in the summer) to go inland and rather than pass through, stop in a village and explore and visit the local Taverna for some home cooked food and local Ginger Beer. This Corfu behind the resorts, much as I love Sidari/Canala D'Amour, has given me a glimpse of even greater pleasures and tranquility; be it history, flora/fauna, scenery, being in the olive groves, deserted beaches, the local people, eating/drinking local foood (except the Greek coffee as I dont like coffee at all!!) and even sitting under the 'tree of idleness'. I hope to find all this and more on my walk. A friendly greeting to locals in greek and respect of siesta time when passing through villages in the afternoon being a small price to pay for added enjoyment. In these hard times in Greece the plus side is that all my spending money will be going directly to the local people (in fact all my costs except Easyjet). So an independant holiday is so much better for the ecomony than using the Tour Operator and so much better and more rewarding than going all inclusive in my opinion. I hope you will follow me.........................tomorrow we talk donkeys and the work of Corfu Donkey Rescue the charity I support.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb