Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Ionian Islands » Corfu
August 28th 2007
Published: September 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

SAIL AWAY, SAIL AWAY, SAIL AWAY!

We leave Rome, yep you guessed it, bright and early, to make our way over to Bari to depart on our overnight ferry to Greece. It’s a busy ferry, we have dinner, take time to enjoy the beautiful sunset across the Adriatic and park ourselves in…where else but a bar and we all play uno and cards all night. I sleep like a baby on the ferry, just like being rocked to sleep.

It’s an exciting day today, we set sail! We leave the ferry and drive to Plataria where we meet our main captain ‘Adam’ for the next 3 days. Each flotilla has 6 of s on it, an appointed ‘Captain’ and ‘First Mate’. Captains and First mates are given a very quick rough guide on how to sail these things whilst the rest of us wonder around town and have the yummiest Euros/Souvalaki looking thing ever!! We are automatically put together on the boat, no choice who to share with due to boating skills, LOL, so our Captain was Kate… I know, I know, scary! And first mate was Jay.

We set sail and start shitting ourselves about how we are going to make it through 3 days of sailing when no one has a clue what their doing! Day 1, I think Kate had already bitten all of her nails off, LOL. We sail in between Corfu and Greek mainland on the Ionian Sea. We moor and sleep at different ports each night and during the day stop off at different spots for swimming. The first night we stop at this really cool resort, with water slides, and awesome restaurant with a great view and a cool bar. Big night, lots of cocktails and dancing - we can’t believe where we are!! Lots of shenanigans and lilo fun…. Next morning first thing I jump of the pier to wake me up and we’re off sailing again. One thing about these flotillas are that there isn’t a lot of room, no showers on board and we were told to really try not to use the toilets, only a number 1 if we were absolutely desperate, we were also only allowed to bring essentials, one day backpack to last us for 3 days, and pretty much no proper shower for 3 days just a cold beach shower, AGGGHHH! As you can tell, we survived. Next day we sailed nearly all day in the middle of the sea, got a little scary there for a bit, wake waves from a ship and we were turned on the wrong angle, VERY VERY ROCKY, was waiting for Kate to start crying… LOL LOL.. it was very funny when I look back, not so at the time. We arrive at our spot for the night, little fishing village, have dinner at family run restaurant where they teach us to Greek dance, lift tables with our teeth and have a good night.

Next day we sail all the way back to Plataria, where I end up falling off the back of the boat when we park it as the anchor gets hooked on my arm…. Water up my nose and very embarrassing considering we were the last boat to pull up and everyone is watching. Once we pull up we have to scrub the boats clean, we shower, change and have a group dinner, Bahti gives me a French manicure (love that girl!) better give Kaye a mention here for her awesome massages too, thanks Kaye! It’s still really hot and we make our way to a cool outdoor bar and get free pour drinks all night, very funny, don’t know how Kris manages to get back to his boat without falling in, may have something to do with the fact Jake had to bear hug him all the way, LOL. Aimee decides to have a sleep over with us and then awakes me in the middle of the night, freaks out coz she’s too hot and jumps out the man hole, HA HA. Everytime I,ve hopped back onto land I have major sea legs - stop swaying!!

I,m still swaying when we hit ALBANIA next...



Additional photos below
Photos: 72, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Bahti - FloatingBahti - Floating
Bahti - Floating

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
Candace & AmyCandace & Amy
Candace & Amy

Hope they have a good dentist...


Tot: 0.309s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0768s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb