welcome to paradice.


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Ionian Islands » Corfu
April 3rd 2007
Published: April 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

How many of you have ever taken the B.C. ferries over to Vancouver island? imagine that but a bit bigger with a pool, casino, sevral bars, a night club and a hotel, and thats what the ferry that runs from Venice to the Corfu, a little island off the coast of Greece. You might be thinking "wow that sounds awesome" and its not to bad for the first 4 hours, but 22 hours of being on a boat where everything is to expensive to enjoy gets old really fast, I now understand that song form pulp fiction, "playing solitaire till down with a deck of fifty one" because thats what i did, i had to use the a joker as the five of diamonds. And if your wondering why i had to stay up so late when there was hotel on board, Its because I, like many of the others on the boat, was to cheap to spring for a hotel room when there was already a roof over my head and just unrolled my sleeping bag and slept on the floor, under the stairs actually. And I had to stay up so late because the night club was blaring some kind of awful techno music all night even though there was no one in the bar. But im really not complaining. The ferry which normally coasts around 70 euros was 100% free for me thanks to my handy eurorail pass. No booking fee, Not even the use of a travel day on the pass. It was just go go gadget rail pass and they gave me a free ticket. Awesome!

So now I am in Corfu. And its amazing. I'm staying at this cool little hostel, which is family run and right on the beach, which is enclosed by sharp cliffs on both sides. Today i made it my mission to explore these cliffs and over the coerce of the whole day i went as far as the terrain would let me in both directions and found several caves which i promptly explored, hoping to find treasure, but finding only a pair of broken binoculars. Each night I watch what may be the most dramatic sunset that I have ever seen. On the first night I could actually watch as the sun dipped down into the Mediterranean, and i half expected to hear a "ssssssssss" sound of the hot sun being cooled by the water.

Another intresting thing about this hostal is that the owners also own a farm and alomost daily you can see the carcuss of some animal hanging in the kitchen. this mourning as I sipped my coffee I was being watched by the carcus of a pig hanging a couple of feet in formnt of me. All I could think about was Bill the butcher from "gangs of New York" as he tought youn leo how to fight. "this is a kill, This is a kill"bill wouold say as he stabbed the pig in various parts. Not pritty I know but thats whats been going on here and if i didnt tell you all about it then this wouldnt be a very accurt blog now would it?

So far Greece has been everything I hoped it would, and I've only been here for 3 days, still got 27 left. should be good times.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

yummmmyummmm
yummmm

this isnt the pig, its a slab of beef but this is where it was hanging
bearded adveturerbearded adveturer
bearded adveturer

this is probably a good time to mention that i havent shaved once since I've got to europe


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb