Heraklion Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Crete » Heraklion
December 16th 2015
Published: December 20th 2015
Edit Blog Post

November 26 2015 taking a southeastern route in the Aegean sea. The Aegean sea is connected with the Marmara sea in the North and the black sea. Through the straight of the Dardanelli and the Bosphorus, a famous branch of the sea that coasts along Istanbul. HERAKLION THE 4TH largest city in greece,the largest Island with 175,000 people. Heraklion, the hometown and resting place of Nikos Kazanrzakis, it distinguishes for its impressive castle, the Venetian port and the fish taverns along the waterfront. The entire area is beautiful.

The history ofHeraklion started in the Minoan times, as shown by the close ancient town of Knossos, the most developed of all Minoan towns in Crete. Excavations in Knossos have revealed a flourishing ancient town with an impressive palace and a vibrant life. The town was found under ashes in tact, which is why sientists believe that this civilization was destroyed by the volcanic eruption of Santorini.

After the Minoan times, heraklion flourished again as animportant pot of the Byzantine Empire. After the fall of crete to the Venetians ,the town developed econoically because of trade. In the 16thcentury, heraklion was conqueredby the Turks who kept the entire Island under control until the 20thcentury.Heraklion is green and very interestig . Pure nature and mountainous villages and sandy beaches. We had an extrodanary venture in a taxi around the Island.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Minoon Krosis PlaceMinoon Krosis Place
Minoon Krosis Place

Next several pictures of the Palace from 2000 BC


Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 27; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb