Gwen and Michael's 2011 Greek Sojourn Third Travel Blog


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Central Macedonia » Thessaloniki » Perea
December 19th 2011
Published: December 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Monday 12th was the Name Day of St Spiros and a good opportunity to commence putting up the Xmas Decorations and Mama has the custom of changing the chair covers and floor rugs to – the Christmas Period. I think a lot of Greek people have the same practice.Mama put the flotaki rugs on the sofas and put up the starched doilies on the buffet and we put up some Xmas Decorations around the lounge room.

After lunch, we went up to the block again Michael used the axe to cut down some plum saplings. There was a shepherd with 150 sheep grazing on the vacant blocks that have not been fenced. I did not see a dog, but I have been told he did have one. He must milk the sheep- not sure if by hand or machine.

We visited our sister in law Aleka in Salonika, had a coffee, stayed about one hour and then left around 5pm to go to the CBD to take some more photos of the Festive Decorations. Then caught the bus home and got some good photos of Perea Christmas decorations by standing on the road when no cars were there. Most of the councils adjacent to the Bay near Salonika have boats as the feature of their Festive Decorations. I have included many photos of Michael standing next to Santas and the bear in a toy shop. Many shops have Festive Themes painted on their windows, or else have the entrance door enveloped with a lovely Christmas ribbon, from top to bottom and finished with a large bow.

Mama and Michael had their hair cut by Aspasia, the hairdresser who has been doing Mama’s hair for years and who walks the 15 minutes from Nea Epivates to Mama’s house.

Michael bought some fish and a big salmon head to make soup. It was delicious and I had not made it before.

Michal’s brother George loves working in Mama’s garden and did some cultivating today in order to plant some lettuces. I made an economically challenged wreath for the front gate, by using all recycled items. Getting creative with pomegranates and ball- shaped hot peppers.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Lights on the water SalonikaLights on the water Salonika
Lights on the water Salonika

Instead of the huge Xmas tree, there were these lights on the water.
Michael and Xmas TreeMichael and Xmas Tree
Michael and Xmas Tree

Where the old Salonika P.O. used to be.
Michael and the BearMichael and the Bear
Michael and the Bear

At a toy shop in Salonika, the bear was conducive to a photo.
Truck Merry Go RoundTruck Merry Go Round
Truck Merry Go Round

One of many rides for little kids in Salonika CBD
Lottery Tickets on Xmas TreeLottery Tickets on Xmas Tree
Lottery Tickets on Xmas Tree

In Salonika CBD, lottery ticket seller getting into the Festive Season
Mended Saw HandleMended Saw Handle
Mended Saw Handle

Michael made a new wooden handle for the little handsaw
Looking from Perea HinterlandLooking from Perea Hinterland
Looking from Perea Hinterland

In the far distance is Salonika City
Persimmon in FogPersimmon in Fog
Persimmon in Fog

This tree still has a few persimmons hanging from the top in Mama's back yard


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb