Pefkochori - Last day at the beach - Day 20


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Central Macedonia » Pefkochori
June 24th 2007
Published: November 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I got up around 10:45 and ran over to get breakfast at the hotel before they stopped serving at 11am. Steve stayed in bed. Steve B's mom joined me for breakfast shortly after I got there and Steve showed up about 11:15 and was denied breakfast, he was not happy!

We had all decided the day before that we should go to the Akrotiri Bar area of the beach because they had lounge chairs with padded cushions and they were definitely the busiest. Alice and Magda had gone to the beach early as they were up early. We decided to drive down to the beach because it was easier with the floats and we wanted to bring the camera today. Steve B. got some photos of me and Steve out on the float. Steve and I walked around the corner from the Akrotiri Bar to see what was south of Pefkochori and I can honestly say not much, just more beach without people and not developed.

Oh yeah, Steve took his loaner cell phone swimming in the sea today for at least 30 minutes in his pocket. It was junk after that and we were unable to resuscitate it. We rented a paddle boat (me, Steve, Alice and Steve B.) and went out for about an hour up and down the beach a ways. I didn’t think it would be fun, but it was. There were several paddle boats out at the same time we talked to the people on one of them, they had about 9 people on their boat and it looked like it was going to sink! We headed back to get the car and there was a Shetland pony in the parking area. It looked like a couple of gypsies had brought the pony to give ride and/or take pictures for money. We went over and patted it, and it wanted to kick Steve, then the gypsies started to come over so we jumped in the car and took off.

Steve B. had the worst sunburn ever! He had huge blisters all over his back and shoulders. We ended up going to the pharmacy and the pharmacist mixed up some special concoction to put on the blisters to help with the pain. Steve B. said they actually did feel better afterwards, but they still looked horrible.

We went back to the hotel, showered and all 6 of us went down to Stergios’ work for dinner. No nap today and I for one felt tired. It’s amazing how fast you get into the European lifestyle of napping in the afternoon, eating late and staying out late at night! Stergios was late for work this morning, so we decided we should have a quiet night tonight. Stedios picked us up at the hotel and we drove to Hanioti which is the village just north of Pefkochori. We parked the car in the plateia and first went to a bar called Murphy’s (seems to be a popular bar name in Greece !). We stayed there for a few drinks, Alice got the Murphy’s special drink and it came with every kind of swizzle stick you could imagine including a lit sparkler firework. I had a Gordon’s Space which is a gin based carbonated beverage with lemon and ginseng. It comes in a beer style bottle that’s all white and it’s really good which means it won’t be available in the States for sure.

There weren’t many people there so we left and walked back toward the plateia and went to another bar for a drink. Stergios was exhausted, so at about 3am we headed back to our hotel. We stood in front of the hotel saying farewell to Stergios for a few minutes and some guy started yelling at us to shut up! Oops!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0245s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb